Birmingham to trial e-scooters in revolutionary UK scheme

Essgeebee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 19, 2020
A big fuss about nothing, in my view. While European cities are full of people happily zipping about on e-scooters our backward, stop-innovation bureaucracy decided years ago to do what it usually does, ban them when in fact they could do more to reduce emissions and now cross-infection while enabling people to travel where they want free of charge.
It took a pandemic to shift the blockers but no doubt they will do whatever they can to restrict their use, citing the odd inevitable accident as an excuse.
Ebikes have been popular in Northern European countries for decades while here we’re just waking up to their enormous potential.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
This 'trial' is utter nonsense and so beloved our British Civil Service. The rest of the world just accepts progress but not here.
Look at the idiocy in Northern Ireland over ebikes.
I remember when CB radio started. Everywhere else readily embraced the new device, not the UK.
The reason given was that they interfered with emergency service radios. (But only in the UK)
Great moral indignation at their use was voiced by various politicians, obviously hoping to bag some votes.
Eventually, so many British people were using them illegally that they had to legalise them, but saved face by stipulating only FM and not AM.
The real reason, never mentioned publicly, was that the radios supplied to the Emergency services by the Home Office Wireless Department were cheap alternatives to those used elsewhere and could not cope with cross interference.

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton
This 'trial' is utter nonsense and so beloved our British Civil Service. The rest of the world just accepts progress but not here.
Look at the idiocy in Northern Ireland over ebikes.
I remember when CB radio started. Everywhere else readily embraced the new device, not the UK.
The reason given was that they interfered with emergency service radios. (But only in the UK)
Great moral indignation at their use was voiced by various politicians, obviously hoping to bag some votes.
Eventually, so many British people were using them illegally that they had to legalise them, but saved face by stipulating only FM and not AM.
The real reason, never mentioned publicly, was that the radios supplied to the Emergency services by the Home Office Wireless Department were cheap alternatives to those used elsewhere and could not cope with cross interference.
Bunkem! Most emergency services at the time used Pye Westminster sets which had very good selectivity. Their frequency allocation was 66 to 88 MHz. CB allocation is 27 MHz. Very little chance of interference.
The big problem for the UK was that the 27 MHz band was already licensed legally to radio control model aircraft users. They were paying for a licence to use the band, and interference resulted in loss of control of the aircraft.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
European cities are full of people happily zipping about on e-scooters
Ebikes have been popular in Northern European countries for decades
But, and there are very big buts.

Those European cities have European roads, cycling and pedestrian facilities, already a huge volume of bicycles in use and drivers who are well used to all the cycling and drive accordingly.

Our laws alone not allowing scooters on pavements will mean them always mixing with our motor traffic.

And worst of all is the uniquely British obsession with speed on two wheels. Not for us the leisurely cycling so often seen in mainland Europe, here cyclists so often race around much faster, even taking to the pavements at speed, so I can see similar happening with e-scooters at speed.

Thousands of e-scooters here on our roads and pavements with our lack of suitable facilities are likely to have many unhappy outcomes.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Bunkem! Most emergency services at the time used Pye Westminster sets which had very good selectivity. Their frequency allocation was 66 to 88 MHz. CB allocation is 27 MHz. Very little chance of interference.
The big problem for the UK was that the 27 MHz band was already licensed legally to radio control model aircraft users. They were paying for a licence to use the band, and interference resulted in loss of control of the aircraft.
Well, why did the emergency services complain?
I was told about this by a Home Office wireless technician, and had no reason to disbelieve him.