Bitten by the bug !

Jed

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
Since getting my electric bike, I've now decided I need another one! (wife doesn't agree, yet ;)) This time though, I feel like adding a kit to an existing bike (Ridgeback Velocity). What would people on here recommend as a good kit?

thanks
Jed

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Depends what you've already got Jed, (you presumably don't want exactly the same), and what you'd really like, performance, range, load towing/carrying etc. Give us the spec and see what we come up with to surprise and delight the wife.

Jed

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
I haven't really given the exact specification too much thought. I would've liked something the wife could ride but as the existing bike already has a men's frame I'm kinda limted there. I already have the Torq but that is too big for her.

So I guess this is another bike for me :) . As the Torq is already good for high speed perhaps the kit version could be more tailored towards hills.

thanks
Jed

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My thoughts then are already turning towards the Currie Electro Drive, since there are few good hill climbers these days, but I'll have to rely on others regarding batteries to use with that since I don't have the Currie experience on that. The Heinzman possibility is a choice between gearing for hills, meaning a very low top assisted speed, or being a bit naughty from a legal point of view and using a 700 watt version, accepting the short range that goes with it.

The 400 watt Crystallite motors have some interesting options, not just the power due to the 400 watts rating, but electrical two speed motor control, one for speed, one for hill climbing. For that try Team Hybrid:

www.teamhybrid.co.uk/

but I know little about them, or what effect those two electrical speed options have on range.

redalpha3

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2006
I have a folder fitted with a Heinzmann 200w Road-legal motor and NiMh battery. It is a first rate motor. The controls are seriously precise and reliable. As it is used on a 20" wheel cycle it is limited to 11.5 mph top speed but the torque produced allows it to tackle steep hills with an excellent success rate! The same motor fitted to a 26" wheel bike will produce 15 mph maximum speed and tackle hills well too. I cannot fault the electrics but suggest that the important aspect is to use a good bike as a basis, Highly recommended but expensive. I had mine fitted professionally but as long as you can build the hub motor into the wheel yourself, fitting is not too difficult.

redalpha3

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2006
I think it cost about £1150. The best place for advice is to ask at Kinetics. The guy there is excellent and will help if he can. Use this web address.../www.kinetics-online.co.uk

Baboonking

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Watford
There loads of different kits to choose from. Here's 3 you might be interested in.

1: The currie electrodrive. I have this kit and I love it. there's lots of options and upgrades you can do. such as differnt gearing for higher speed or more torque and more powerful motors you can bolt on.

The downside is its a bit noisier than some hub motors though I don't hear it when in traffic and some of the parts where out over time but you can replace them.

You can get in the UK from a few different shops but I recommend Tony Castles at www.electrodrive.co.uk.

2: The cyclone kit see http://www.cyclone-uk.com/ this is quite new but there have been some good reports. The variable geartrain should make it great for hills should be very efficient (long range)

3: Mark from Team Hybrid is now selling a new brushless gear hub motor. This one looks really special www.teamhybrid.co.uk click here for a vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDk-6oMB0Do

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Torq too big for the wife?

I haven't really given the exact specification too much thought. I would've liked something the wife could ride but as the existing bike already has a men's frame I'm kinda limted there. I already have the Torq but that is too big for her.

So I guess this is another bike for me :) . As the Torq is already good for high speed perhaps the kit version could be more tailored towards hills.

thanks
Jed
Hi Jed:
I would not wish to contradict you. After deciding that the Torq was too big for my wife (she's 5 ft 5 inches and could only get her toes on the ground at rest, which made her feel very insecure) we bought a Chooper (a blast up hills - but snail like on the flat.)
I discovered when replacing my suspension seat pin (in my Torq) that the saddle is perched up at least two inches because of the Rubber covered spring in the seat tube and at least another inch because of that quick release mechanism for pulling the battery. I am am sure that the saddle could be lowered at least 2 - 2.5 inches. I can't see any other limitations.
In fact the 'driving position' may be improved by being lower - not so much weight is placed on the handlebars contributing to Handlebar Palsy.
One more consideration: she would not be too stretched?
If you do go down that road the size of the seat pin on the Torq is 25.4 mm but the size of my tube is 25.66 mm. My new pin which is 25.36 is a devil to get fixed firmly because it takes so much strength to close the tube with the quick release (so called) clamp. Check that a 25.6 pin would not be a better bet.
Peter

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Cyclone Motors

There loads of different kits to choose from. Here's 3 you might be interested in.

2: The cyclone kit see MkII Cyclone this is quite new but there have been some good reports. The variable geartrain should make it great for hills should be very efficient (long range)
Hi Baboon King:
I was seriously considering the Cyclone II and was much taken with the fact that there are three Wattage options to choose from.
I had noted that the site MkII Cyclone warned that the motor was not submersible (hardly surprising) but also should not be used in heavy rain.
I was in touch with Ernsbikes putting the proposition to him and he warned me that they do suffer from the ingress of water - he has delivered six and two have been returned with much corrosion in the motor.
Peter

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Baboon King:
I was seriously considering the Cyclone II and was much taken with the fact that there are three Wattage options to choose from.
I had noted that the site MkII Cyclone warned that the motor was not submersible (hardly surprising) but also should not be used in heavy rain.
I was in touch with Ernsbikes putting the proposition to him and he warned me that they do suffer from the ingress of water - he has delivered six and two have been returned with much corrosion in the motor.
Peter
Thanks for this info Peter. I've been looking at the possibility of experimenting with a Cyclone motor in various ways, but the more I've looked into the product and the company, the less and less impressed I've become. In design, sales and technical aspects, there are too many deficiencies to have any confidence in such amateurishness.

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
The cyclone and other shortcomings

Thanks for this info Peter. I've been looking at the possibility of experimenting with a Cyclone motor in various ways, but the more I've looked into the product and the company, the less and less impressed I've become. In design, sales and technical aspects, there are too many deficiencies to have any confidence in such amateurishness.
That about does it for the Cyclone.
Is there no e-bike out there (under £1500) that "ticks all the boxes"?
Trouble is I've got more boxes to tick than the average e-bikie. I read some of the remarks posted on fitness, (not many on Age and Weight - a vain lot us e-bikers) and I wonder why striplings of under 40 need assistance. I'm only kidding :) - I would have loved it when climbing 10%ers - or the following day on a tour when one is knackered by elevenses time. But back in those days the most powerful battery was an Ever-Ready No.8. :)
Peter

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That about does it for the Cyclone.
Is there no e-bike out there (under £1500) that "ticks all the boxes"?
Trouble is I've got more boxes to tick than the average e-bikie. I read some of the remarks posted on fitness, (not many on Age and Weight - a vain lot us e-bikers) and I wonder why striplings of under 40 need assistance. I'm only kidding :) - I would have loved it when climbing 10%ers - or the following day on a tour when one is knackered by elevenses time. But back in those days the most powerful battery was an Ever-Ready No.8. :)
Peter
The old Twist series used to tick virtually all boxes, which is why it's loss is so keenly felt. It's an irony that hub motors are not ideally suited to hill climbing by virtue of their single gear nature, but help on hills is the main reason people want an e-bike. Only the Twist answered that satisfactorily.

Among hub motored bikes, the Quando gets close on climb ability, but it's single 70" gear and small wheel folding format doesn't make for a full cycling experience. Next nearest is the Sprint.

Re: the Ever-Ready No. 8, that's why our bike add-on motors were petrol then!