Blackburn 650 Central Front Light

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I did ask for a kit review board, but to no avail, so this'll have to go here...

I bought this light from Tredz for £30. I had the first opportunity to try it out tonight and I am impressed, especially at the price.

It uses a Go-Pro style mount and the reviews I read weren't so sure about it, and I have to agree to a point.

I'm mounting it on curved bars which isn't ideal as it isn't the best way to seat it properly, so the light does move around a bit. I suspect it would seat better on straighter bars. However, it throws out an impressive amount of directed light - yes directed light, not the star-power, light up the whole horizon, burn the retinas of oncoming cyclists, cheap lights that seem to get recommended on here - so that other road users aren't dazzled by the light which is cast onto the road, where you need it. I was travelling at 20MPH on a completely dark bridleway and was able to spot a ped in full stealth mode clothing long before I approached him.

It's rechargeable via a USB cable, so I can top up at work. The other negative is battery life, and some reviews say it only manages 90 or so minutes on full power, which is what I'll be using quite a bit of the time. I'll switch it over to pulse mode when in town to save battery life, so that the switch is lit up and I can quickly locate it it to power up.

So, it has its faults, but for the price it's great value.

Last edited:

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
In light, no pun intended, of a couple of weeks experience; here's an update:

The mount is an issue on my curved bars. Depsite the grooved rubber lining it moves significantly. That means I am constantly realigning it as I ride along. This happens on both sets of bars I use it on; one curved, one straight, though not as much on the straight ones. I will use a rubber lining to pad out the bars to see if that helps.

The light, however, is very bright. My B&M dyno light shines a good beam on the road, but the Blackburn lights up the margins and the road, so it might even make a half decent off-road light on towpaths and the like.

So, mixed feelings. Optically it's excellent, but directing that light effectively is a faff at the moment because of the mount.

• Informative
Reactions: topographer

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
Sounds like this could be the one for me. But do I really want to ride off-road in the dark? Do I? It would be purely elective, ie. I don't need to.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I do use dark cyclepaths and country lanes & it really does light up the way. I would also use it on towpaths, but my speed is much slower there. It wouldn't be bright enough for serious off-road shenanigans at speed. For one thing, the mount wouldn't like being bounced about.

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
I do use dark cyclepaths and country lanes & it really does light up the way. I would also use it on towpaths, but my speed is much slower there. It wouldn't be bright enough for serious off-road shenanigans at speed. For one thing, the mount wouldn't like being bounced about.
Sometimes you just want to spend a bit more time in the twilight rather than rush home because it's dimming. Maybe a bar extender would help with your stability problem.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Nice thought, thanks, but the bars are quite curved and there isn't any space to fit a bar extender.