BMS issue for a HL Chinese Battery

JPG001

Just Joined
May 6, 2022
Hi to all of you,

This is a question about a combined kit TSDZ2 + a classical Chinese HL down tube 48V recent battery.
1. I once made a short circuit by putting the (locker) key erroneously into the charging entry, and there was a spark.
Before that the bike was running fine but after that I had no power.
I decided to charge the battery but this would not work as the plug from the charger short circuited (again) and burned because the battery charging entry had been disformed by my key.
2. As I could not find easily a replacement for the plug, I connected the red and the black wires of the charger and the battery directly with a home male/female plug. This is supposed to be provisional of course but I use it for testing further.
3. Then I tried to reset the BMS (which I supposed to have protected the battery by disconnecting) and I did that by disconnecting the white plug (for balancing charge), applying power from the charger and reconnecting the white plug.
4. The battery started charging: i.e. the indicator on the charger was red, and after a few hours it turned green
Results:
- the battery indicator shows full charge (see pic)
- the voltage at the output to the cradle shows the following:
there are 5 poles labelled +, 1, 2, 3, and -; (see pic)
tensions are:
+to1 = 53.5; +to-=53.5; +to3=0; +to2=0
-to3 = 53.5; -to1=0; -to2=0
1to3= 53.5; 1to2=0.
From this it seems pole 2 never has voltage. Some document from the battery seller seems to say 2 is unused.
So we could think the output from the battery is correct (?)

- WELL..., when I put the battery on the cradle the battery indicator on the bike screen (see pic) shows only one bar (whereas the battery indicator on the battery is showing full charge) AND the TSDZ2 DOES NOT RUN.

The purpose of my post is to ask opinion on what is still wrong and is preventing the battery to give power to the bike.
I have a spare BMS ready to install, but I want to make sure that the BMS is really at fault here, as charging the battery is working ( and the BMS cuts when charged or is it the charger ?) and the battery is full and is giving power at the output. I tried again this by connecting a bulb to the poles of the battery for some time and it is discharging (the bulb lights on) and after some time it accepts recharging again.

Hopefully someone thinking out of the box will have an idea about cause and solution ?

Thanks to all interested by this post.

JPG468504685246853

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
The display is effectively a voltmeter, so measure voltage at the display. One bar should not be 53.5V. There may be a connection or cable issue.

But I would not overlook the trauma the battery has suffered, and how it coincides with the loss of power! May well be an issue inside the battery.

JPG001

Just Joined
May 6, 2022
Thank you for your remark that the display is a voltmeter. I've been testing one step further at the two Andersons connectors coming out of the cradle (whit battery in its normal position), and I measure 53.5 V. This means also this voltage is fed to the TSDZ2 motor. It means also that for some reason, the display doesn't measure the correct voltage and probably concludes the battery is empty and shuts off the power. What I don't understand is how this malfunction could be caused by the short circuit as I had already switched off the display when it happened....

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Thank you for your remark that the display is a voltmeter. I've been testing one step further at the two Andersons connectors coming out of the cradle (whit battery in its normal position), and I measure 53.5 V. This means also this voltage is fed to the TSDZ2 motor. It means also that for some reason, the display doesn't measure the correct voltage and probably concludes the battery is empty and shuts off the power. What I don't understand is how this malfunction could be caused by the short circuit as I had already switched off the display when it happened....
I have no good explanation to offer! It is possible that coincidence is at work, or just something not obvious happened internally as a result of the short.

I would check all connectors, even if there is no reason to suspect them, I would try a different battery, a different display, and if no joy suspect damage to the controller board somewhere between power coming from the battery and the cables going to the display.

But I don't have an explanation for what happened, or the symptoms now.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's not unheard of that the blue voltage wire in the display may be lose or not soldered on its pad and also recently on ES some one opened there motor up to find the Blue voltage wire was severed.

Advertisers