BMS with same power out and charge wires

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
By this I mean the BMS has only two wires coming out of it - B- and P- . Other than the balance lead JST there is no separate C- for charging

Any major disadvantage to this ? I tried on endless sphere to find out and disappeared down the rabbit hole !

Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you need high charge rate then use same port bms (2 wire) , uses P- for charge /discharge it allows higher charge rate if needed so goes through a better fet. Charge rate is = to that of the rated constant discharge.

Separate port bms uses separate channels and charge rate is less typically sub 8a which is all that most need.

The latter tend to be more expensive but don't know if one is more reliable over the other.

Reactions: KirstinS

russ18uk

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2018
By this I mean the BMS has only two wires coming out of it - B- and P- . Other than the balance lead JST there is no separate C- for charging

Any major disadvantage to this ? I tried on endless sphere to find out and disappeared down the rabbit hole !

Thanks
One good thing about having a separate charging connector (and power button!) is no sparking when plugging in the battery to the controller. That's all I can argue.

Reactions: KirstinS

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Thanks both, I noticed the 8a charge rate (not that I even have any chargers higher than 3.2a!)

no great shakes then. Great, I've wired in my bms, battery level pcb and kapton taped the lot before slinging into a podsack frame bag for testing over the weekend