Boardman HYB 9E vs Cannondale Synapse NEO 2

Bonky

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2019
I have a Carbon racer (PlanetX), a Caradoc hybrid (non-electric and surprisingly good), as well as a Nano-converted Brompton (SA 5-speed). I am 71 yrs old, somewhat overweight (94kg) and with bad knees. I fancy selling the PlanetX and getting an Ebike. I have drawn up a 'short' list (30+!) inc the Ribble/Orbea Gain/Volt Infinity/Whyte(Clifton), but somehow narrowed it down to two:

Boardman HYB 9E and the Cannondale Synapse NEO 2

Boardman: Lighter; £500 cheaper; removable battery and motor unit. Doesn't look like a 'lecce' 250W battery - limited range. Simple LED readout. A good app available for smart 'phones.

Cannondale: Heavier; much better range (500W battery); better group-set (Shimano Ultima /105). More informative readout. App is available too.
Bosch's Generation 3 Active Line Plus

Any advice besides trying before buying (I have tried the Boardman - the more expensive version (£2700)- seemed comfortable and quite powerful.)

This is the 3rd time I've posted this...my posts seem to get deleted. Any idea why?

Thanks

Bonky

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2019
Well...thanks Guys...you're too late.

I've decided on the Cannondale (with a discount). Will hope to pick it up from Evans of Sheffield later. Excited!

Reactions: Audio2

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
The Cannondale is a decent bike according to others on the forum. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. I’ve not seen the Boardman before but it does sound interesting. I assume it’s similar to the Orbea Gain.

Bonky

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2019
Got it! It's the Neo2 in red. I've just done 10 miles in it for a 'shakedown' appraisal. So far I'm impressed. The frame rides and steers well and would be a very comfortable ride if it wasn't for the cast-iron saddle. The 'Turbo' and 'Sport's mode don't appear to be that different. The Purion display is a bit basic; a shame it doesn't display cadence. I can't get the Cannondale app to record my ride. Does it need an additional front wheel sensor does anyone know? Changing gear to a larger cog is a little noisy - unlike the motor. Do these bikes need a period of 'running-in'?

If interested I'll post more when I've done a few longer rides.