bones or fondo

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
So I'm in the market for a new cycle carrier to go on the latest model Picanto.

Even though I'll mostly only be carring one bike I've been looking at the Saris bones 2 or 3 because of there adjustablility.
I've now spotted the Grand Fondo from Saris, this rack also fits the rear hatch but carries the bike front wheel up and parallel with the car. The only benefit I can see is that your number plate and rear lights are not obscured.
Any have either carrier ? If so then views / comments welcomed
Thanks in advance ;)

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Hi Gringo,

I have a Saris Bones 2 for my Ebike that weighs 22Kg. The Bones can take the weight but I always put a microfibre cloth under the pad that sits on the boot lid as any movement could scratch the paint work. I also clean the boot and bumper before fitting it on. I havnt been pulled yet for slightly obscuring the lights and plate. I'm told that Mr Plod would have to be having a very bad day before that happened. So far so good. The best way is to get a tow bar with basic electrics and mount a different rack on the bar. I can't do that as my BMW 330E is a plug in hybrid and because the batteries are under the boot floor, no towbars are available.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I'm in the same boat with the towbar.
I have a new car and the dealer says the chasse is not towbar compatable and I wouldn't want to jeopardise my 7 year warranty ;)
I've offered up my bike to the back of the car and the wheels would cover the lights perfectly if I was to use a bones rack :(
A chat at a local bike shop with an X fondo owner put me off that rack, my heavy ebike may be too heavy as even lighter non-assisted bike tend to sway about worryingly :rolleyes:
Untill the weather improves I'll stick to local rides, so problem solved, for now :p

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Can’t you drop the back seats and remove the front wheel? Then just pop it in laid flat

Advertisers