Bosch Active Line Plus vs Bosch Performance Line CX

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Hmmmm .... having had the Crossfire with a rear hub motor and now the Crossfuse with a Bosch active line plus, I would have to say to the poster above that the rear hub motor gives a much bigger boost from a standing start. I think it's designed in to rear hub motors because they can put a lot of power through at start up without stressing the chain (but might be wrong). The Bosch ALP is ok but it doesn't deliver its proper power levels until you are doing 50- 60 cadence (again that's from memory and I might be wrong).
Mike
I think it's about what gear you are in. ALP has no issues with hill starts in a low gear, but in a high gear can be sluggish both uphill and on flat (as you say, presumably to protect the chain).

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
I think it's about what gear you are in. ALP has no issues with hill starts in a low gear, but in a high gear can be sluggish both uphill and on flat (as you say, presumably to protect the chain).
Ah yes Andy you have reminded me why it was a problem(sort of) changing from the rear hub to the ALP. You have to remember with the ALP as you approach a junction to change down to a low gear so that you can get some reasonable assistance when you set off again. You don;t have to do this with the rear hub as it puts a lot of power into the drive no matter what gear you are in. I still find this a bit of an issue if I have had to unexpectedly stop the Crossfuse (ALP) on an uphill section and have sometimes had to do a circle changing down before being able to uphill again.
(Mind you I wouldn;t swap back to the rear hub)
Mike

TobyAnscombe

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2012
Epping Forest, Essex
I had a Cytronex for a long time before my cube and I tend to agree; the hub motor kicked in pretty much immediately compared to the ALP making the "traffic light dash" slightly easier on the Cytronex.

D

Deleted member 25121

My Performance Line CX gives a nice extra nudge from the motor for a second or so when you start peddling to get you moving. It works very well and the only downside is that if you're coasting along without peddling, perhaps going slightly downhill, and then start peddling the extra nudge can be a bit alarming until you get used to it.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
When we used to have the World Championships in Bristol, the hub-motors always pulled out an immediate lead of 5 to 10 meters on the crank-motors. That was also helped by throttles, which most hub-motored bikes had in those days.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev

Advertisers