Bosch ActiveLine panel doesn't register new battery charge

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi all

I've a KTM Action Macina 29, 2014 model I believe, fitted with the Bosch ActiveLine central drive system. It has given me eight months or so of fairly trouble-free riding, but as of yesterday I seem to have a problem with the control panel. The battery was about half-charged, and I made a journey that used up all the remaining juice. The battery indicator on the control panel started to flash, indicating no charge, and no further motor assistance could be had. That's fine - that's the BMS doing its job.

However, I've now charged it fully, twice - confirmed by the indicator lights on the battery itself - and the control panel won't budge. The newly charged battery doesn't seem to be recognised as charged, the indicator continues to flash, and thus the motor won't come up. I vaguely recall a post here a year or so ago (this might be it) that suggested a manufacturer reset is necessary (I do hope that is not the case). Has anyone experienced this, or does anyone have any reset ideas?

I've tried holding down the two buttons to get into the configuration mode - nothing there. Also tried holding the battery power button, doesn't seem to do anything. I seem to remember reading a suggestion of disconnecting the internal (rechargeable) panel battery, but I guess that might void the warranty (especially if the battery is not removable and wires need to be cut).

The Bosch manual supplied with the bike is entirely in German, so not much help there either.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

There's no way of resetting it. You have to refer your problem to a dealer. Are you sure that the battery is actually charged? Did it charge for hours before the light went green?

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Thanks d8veh. If the indicators on the battery are anything to go by (and I've no reason to doubt them) then it is charged (all lights are lit). The charger with this Bosch product series doesn't have a fast mode (unlike the Classic series) - it seems to be fast by default, taking between one or two hours before switching off.

The battery is relatively new and I get an excellent range from it, probably around 30 miles in 'sport' mode (one down from maximum).

And dear me, if running the battery down requires dealer assistance, that's a whopping design fault. It has never happened with the Classic on my Ave XH-3 (which I am now charging up - good to have a spare!).

I will get in touch with KTM as you suggest.

D

Deleted member 4366

Heaven help you if you have a dongle fitted and let them know! You'll be needing a new bike.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Have you tried charging the head unit? Plug it into a USB on a computer or a phone charger with the same connection.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The unit is also known to be prone to poor contacts caused by flexing in the mount.

Might be worth 'relaxing' the mount by loosening the handlebar mounting screws and then trying it.

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Heaven help you if you have a dongle fitted and let them know! You'll be needing a new bike.
Heh, no - no dongle fitted to this one. I'd only do that after warranty expiry (and not got around to it on the Ave - too many toys, too little time!)

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Worth cleaning the contacts between the head unit and mount.
Thanks - I've done that a bit, but will try again. The speedo digits come up, so it does seem to be registering something. However the drive unit normally does a gentle pre-start click, and is not doing that - presumably a consequence of the fault.

Have you tried charging the head unit? Plug it into a USB on a computer or a phone charger with the same connection.
Ah, not thought of that. Good idea, will give it a whirl. I suppose the "battery dead" indicator could refer to the panel battery as well as the main bike battery.

The unit is also known to be prone to poor contacts caused by flexing in the mount.

Might be worth 'relaxing' the mount by loosening the handlebar mounting screws and then trying it.
Another good idea, thanks Rob - much appreciate all the tips. Will let you know how I get on.

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
This morning the control panel registered one bar of charge, rather than a flashing indicator. This seems to suggest that the battery-charge measurements might be working, presumably resulting from the battery perking up a bit after being left, as batteries often do.

If this is the case, it would be point to a battery fault. That would be rather odd, as the battery is six months old and has been very reliable thus far.

I've got in touch with KTM, and will keep this thread updated, in case it happens to anyone else in the future.

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Thanks again all for the various suggestions to fix my KTM problem.

Since I am some distance from Col at KTM, we agreed I should go to a closer Bosch support centre. I therefore went to OnBike, from whom I purchased my (still working) Ave, now in Worcester. They kindly ran firmware updates for the battery and the drive unit, and after a couple of goes, the panel came back to normal operation. Fixed! :D

Thanks again to Martin and Mike at OnBike - I owe you a beer!

Reactions: martin@onbike

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member
Thanks again all for the various suggestions to fix my KTM problem.

Since I am some distance from Col at KTM, we agreed I should go to a closer Bosch support centre. I therefore went to OnBike, from whom I purchased my (still working) Ave, now in Worcester. They kindly ran firmware updates for the battery and the drive unit, and after a couple of goes, the panel came back to normal operation. Fixed! :D

Thanks again to Martin and Mike at OnBike - I owe you a beer!
Happy to help!

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
I had the same problem with my new bosh performance bike.It was condense in the battery.I belive the condense problem was in the switch for the led light indicator.I got a new battery without giving back the old.I opened it and disconected the the bms from the battery and cleaned it and let it dry.After it worked.I now have two batterys.You can not open it without breaking it.

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
I opened it and disconected the the bms from the battery and cleaned it and let it dry.After it worked.I now have two batterys.You can not open it without breaking it.
That's worth a go if the warranty has expired, but I'm only eight months into my two years. So... no way, José! ;)