Bosch battery readouts.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
black ped that make dongles has tried it long time ago and it wont work with a way better meter than that and it will not turn on.

you cant even probe the batt with a dvm as it wont turn fully on unless it is connected to the bike.

bosch use a smart bms and it has to communicate with the motor controller to work and if you fry the bms the hole batt will be dead as you cant buy the bosch bms.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
black ped that make dongles has tried it long time ago and it wont work with a way better meter than that and it will not turn on.

you cant even probe the batt with a dvm as it wont turn fully on unless it is connected to the bike.

bosch use a smart bms and it has to communicate with the motor controller to work and if you fry the bms the hole batt will be dead as you cant buy the bosch bms.
A good reason not to buy Bosch!
Here in Germany, many complain about them, the plastic gears and the lack of support from the company, once the guarantee is finished....
regards
Andy

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
jimmy can recell the batts now for £300 and get 14ah in a pack as for the nylon gears no one sells them but you can now get the bearings replaced.

D

Deleted member 25121

Why do you imagine they are being sold?
Because you say they don't work?
Think about it!!
Of course you can attach such a unit with just a modicum of knowledge....just need the correct unit for the nominal battery voltage.
The item you showed us is a voltmeter, it measures volts. soundwave quite rightly pointed out the Bosch batteries don't provide a voltage on their terminals until the controller has told them to turn on.
Your voltmeter will measure the voltage but you'll have to break into the wiring loom somewhere to access the battery output / motor supply.
The relationship between battery voltage and range is not straightforward and you might need to experiment to create a cross reference table.

Last edited:

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
A good reason not to buy Bosch!
Here in Germany, many complain about them, the plastic gears and the lack of support from the company, once the guarantee is finished....
regards
Andy
I wouldn't say that. The Bosch ALP is a great system overall.
Obvious it's priced as a premium system but at least I'm confient the battery won't expode when I'm charging it. I've done 1000 miles using it in the last 5 months and it's been brilliant. And the range is great.

I just find it odd and a little frustrating that the battery meter doesn't show % battery remaining accurately when this would seem relatively easy to do.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I think the best way to treat these batteries if you are doing a regular commute is to charge the battery back to full before the next trip to work even if the battery can manage a couple of trips as these batteries do not like to be regularly discharged near to empty.

I do a regular commute to work and charge my battery to full as close to leaving for work as possible and then charge it back to full at work for the trip home. My battery has around 60% remaining when I get home and I remove the battery and store it in the house, leaving it at 60% as this is kinder to the battery cells.

It can be left like this for a few weeks or used again the next day, charging it back to full close to when I leave for work.

I bought my bike in March 2015 and am using the original battery that still seems to work almost as it did when new.