Bosch Battery Service Centre Recommendations - mail order?

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
My Powerpack 300 is not working. I took it off a bike whilst it was switched on and that seems to have blown a fuse. It was fully charged and shows no lights when checking the battery level.

I took it to my local Bosch bike shop. Basically they weren't much help and told me what I'd told them when I dropped the bike off.

Can anyone recommend a shop or service centre that can diagnose the problem & fix it? I don't want to recell, as the battery was working just fine before the issue arose.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
My Powerpack 300 is not working. I took it off a bike whilst it was switched on and that seems to have blown a fuse. It was fully charged and shows no lights when checking the battery level.

I took it to my local Bosch bike shop. Basically they weren't much help and told me what I'd told them when I dropped the bike off.

Can anyone recommend a shop or service centre that can diagnose the problem & fix it? I don't want to recell, as the battery was working just fine before the issue arose.
With a properly designed system, that should never happen, but if it does, there should only be an easily accessed fuse to replace....Another reason to not buy Bosch....
Andy

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
You could try asking Jimmy at ebikebatteries, but AFAIK there is no repair poss. if it has stopped charging/discharging.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the bms has software on it and if it detects a fault like that can go in to a safe mode as damage could have been done to the bms or cells.

if it does not charge or work nothing can be done as bosch dont sell the bms board and no other 3rd party's will work as wont talk to the motor and thus wont turn on connected to the bike.

Reactions: Andy-Mat

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
the bms has software on it and if it detects a fault like that can go in to a safe mode as damage could have been done to the bms or cells.

if it does not charge or work nothing can be done as bosch dont sell the bms board and no other 3rd party's will work as wont talk to the motor and thus wont turn on connected to the bike.
Good information, many thanks. Which I have also read elsewhere on Pedelec, demonstrating clearly a poor way of "repaying" their "paying" customers.
"Locked in" comes to mind.....
Anyone here on Pedelec, who buys any Bosch product in the future, after all this firsthand information from members, really needs to see a shrink.....
To people who bought Bosch products previously, my heartfelt condolences-
I myself , reading between the lines of this great Forum, was always skeptical, partly because I also read and speak German, so I had a huge advantage over many others here, by watching and reading German bike forums and other info available online.
My Scottish blood did the rest!!:cool:;):)
But now, there is NO excuse for being uninformed and putting even more money into these poor products.
Please note that since day 1 of my membership here, I have tried to be honest about Bosch, as their general attitude to customer service and their prices, were always very poor IMHO, and I have always said so, thereby upsetting some here with a Bosch product that (luckily for them) still worked!
Old British idiom:- "You pays your money, and you takes your choice!"
Andy
PS. Idiom explained here:-
Said to someone who must decide between different things and accept the results of their decision.....

Reactions: mike killay

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
Oh b****r - my new (ish) Raleigh has a Bosch drive and battery - sounds worrying

still - the system if by far the best of the 4 ebikes I have had /got so I will just have to hope

if your bike is from a big company (like Raleigh, WHoosh etc) then you could try to contact them - they might have more leverage that one lone person??
Good Luck anyway

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No use going to Woosh they don't sell the China made Bosch drive.

Bosch are ok as long as you are in warranty which is 2 years, once warranty runs out you are left with expensive repair or buy another bike.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Good information, many thanks. Which I have also read elsewhere on Pedelec, demonstrating clearly a poor way of "repaying" their "paying" customers.
"Locked in" comes to mind.....
Anyone here on Pedelec, who buys any Bosch product in the future, after all this firsthand information from members, really needs to see a shrink.....
To people who bought Bosch products previously, my heartfelt condolences-
I myself , reading between the lines of this great Forum, was always skeptical, partly because I also read and speak German, so I had a huge advantage over many others here, by watching and reading German bike forums and other info available online.
My Scottish blood did the rest!!:cool:;):)
But now, there is NO excuse for being uninformed and putting even more money into these poor products.
Please note that since day 1 of my membership here, I have tried to be honest about Bosch, as their general attitude to customer service and their prices, were always very poor IMHO, and I have always said so, thereby upsetting some here with a Bosch product that (luckily for them) still worked!
Old British idiom:- "You pays your money, and you takes your choice!"
Andy
PS. Idiom explained here:-
Said to someone who must decide between different things and accept the results of their decision.....
I so agree. Also, by locking out third party repairers they are in breach of the Treaty of Rome by restraint of Trade.
But, the Almighty EU (Whom God preserve) does nothing about it.

Reactions: Andy-Mat

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Try this:-
To reset the battery management system, do the following:
  1. Remove the battery from the battery mount.
  2. Press and hold the On/Off button on the battery for 10 seconds.
  3. The battery management system should now be reset. Re-install the battery and turn on the bike.

• Useful
Reactions: Nealh

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
So, nobody can actually answer the original question without deviating?

Reactions: RobF

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
So, nobody can actually answer the original question without deviating?
Mate, that comes across as having a right attitude.
To address your original question, no one is the answer.
Won't bother telling you why, not as you hadn't even bothered responding to my sound advice.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Bosch dealers won't touch it if it doesn't swithch on, and no use them sending it back to Bosch because they will simply recycle it and want you to buy a new one.
You have to either open it your self to see if a fuse is blown or see if Jimmy can look at it. There is a chance it is not fuse related and could be a damaged BMS or wiring inside, if the latter it is of no use on a Bosch bike but with a simple BMS change would work on a kit bike or hub bike using a basic charger.
They are not user repair friendly and why I would never think of buying one.

D

Deleted member 25121

Are you sure the problem is with the battery and not elsewhere? Did your local bike shop try the battery in another bike or try another battery in your bike?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I so agree. Also, by locking out third party repairers they are in breach of the Treaty of Rome by restraint of Trade.
But, the Almighty EU (Whom God preserve) does nothing about it.
Good post Mike, your word in God's right ear!
They deserve, to lose trade completely, as them being there or not, probably does not help any owner of their products, where the guarantee has already run out...
On some Bosch e-bike products, the UK prices today would have bought my cheap Chinese e-bike almost 4 times! And mine has TWO batteries!!
regards
Andy

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
he better not buy apple products then you cant even swap phone batts anymore as coded to each device.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
he better not buy apple products then you cant even swap phone batts anymore as coded to each device.
You are right, Apple products have had a very long list of doing naughty things with their phones, AND, as you said, you cannot even change the battery out!
The list is too long to place here...
Andy

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Darren Hayward

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2015
The treaty of Rome prohibits companies from producing products that only they can work on. Bosch produces products no one can work on, including themselves. That's perfectly legal.

Bosch are a large, solid, EU based company with a good no quibble 2 year warranty on its products but its business model is one of replacement and not repair. Also perfectly legal.
Personally I like their products and accept that they do go wrong and need replacing. That includes the possibility of failure after 2 years and a day. No Ebike lasts forever and the chances of buying multiple short life Bosch products in a row is astronomically low. I'll continue to buy and continue to recommend Bosch based Ebikes.

Looking back at some of the nightmare car MOT bills I've had over the years replacing a Bosch battery is almost a pleasure.

Darren

• Agree
Reactions: RobF and ebiker99

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The treaty of Rome prohibits companies from producing products that only they can work on. Bosch produces products no one can work on, including themselves. That's perfectly legal.
If I remember correctly, a product like e-bike must be supported for at least 6 years.
That means that parts must be available up to 6 years from the moment the public is warned of production ending. 'Work on' can simply mean swapping out.

People don't want to think of future maintenance costs when they first look at the product.

That's not Bosch's fault.