Bosch (cube) Issues

Bikesman

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Hi All,

Im wondering if someone on here can help me.

I have a Cube reaction pro 2016 with the Bosch gen 2 motor. Recently when I turn it on on the interface screen it comes on for a second and then says shutting down and turns of, I have managed to hold it down and it will work for a while the will have the same problem, but now not coming on at all, there seems to be battery as there are bars showing and motor works fine when it comes on, also something to mention is that the controller is not working either and is stuck in turbo.

If anyone can advise what this could be or pint me in the way of a place to get it repaired that wont be a rip off would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks Guys

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

if that is what you mean you have to solder it to the pcb inside the display.

or you can fit this yourself

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
also try charging it via the usb port while not on the bike and see if that helps.

Bikesman

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Cheers for the response guys, I have tried to charge via USB however seems to be doing the same thing. And yes all connections seem to be clean. Just wondering if there are any Bosch ebike repair shops as I am not very technical

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well imo given the time the batt will no longer keep a charge and shuts down the display so changing the batt should fix it.

it is not very hard to take it apart and if you must can cut the batt cable and twist the cables together but it is best to solder them on.

any bosch dealer will not do this and recommend a new display so is there any phone repair shops local that can fit a new batt inside it as it will be a 5min job.

if a new batt does not work then it will need replacing a bosch dealr should sell you one and fit it for free the purion display is much better.

Bikesman

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
thanks for your reply soundwave.

so basically if I take apart the interface/screen there is a battery which I should replace with the one you have sent me the link for? And just to confirm it’s in the screen not the controller?

thanks

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
  • Informative
Reactions: Artstu

Bikesman

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
That’s great I will order a battery and give it a whirl, I will let you know how I get on Hopefully a cheap fix

cheers

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
If a new battery makes no difference, this can also happen if there is a circuit board or Battery management board fault. The controller will try and turn the power on and if the safety systems are really unhappy about something, they will just cut the power again.

Reactions: soundwave

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
If a new battery makes no difference, this can also happen if there is a circuit board or Battery management board fault. The controller will try and turn the power on and if the safety systems are really unhappy about something, they will just cut the power again.
Spot on, and to expand upon that a little further, one cause that allows what you have stated to happen, is bearing and or seal failure, so allowing moisture/water ingress into the drive unit.

I should say though, that this is often in conjunction with an error 500 or 511 error code being shown.

Reactions: Bearing Man

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I had something similar which was fixed by a software update/reboot.

Dealer job realistically, although I'm told you can buy the little box to link between your bike and a laptop.

The dealer who did it reckons Bosch bikes benefit from a software update every year or so.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yes you can buy the dealer hardware but it wont work unless you have a bosch dealer account and thus have access to the server they connect to to get the updates so pointless.

my bike has never had its firmware updated and not been a problem ever.

lbs wants £45 to plug in a usb cable and run a update yet a full bike service is 60 quid :rolleyes:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The lad who did mine told me a home user can get the printout using the Bosch diagnostic dongle.

He's done lots, so ought to know.

Having said that, it doesn't look like the diagnostic dongle is widely available.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i dont want a print out i want a firmware update to the bike you can not do this unless you have a dealer account.

or good luck with the kiox display :rolleyes:

Bikesman

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Hi guys just to update, changing the battery in the interface did not change anything, still works intermittently after trying to turn it on several times..... I think it’s just time for a new bike as I have covers many miles on this. Just a bit disappointed as thought it would last longer as it was over £2000 only 4 years or so ago

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Hi guys just to update, changing the battery in the interface did not change anything, still works intermittently after trying to turn it on several times..... I think it’s just time for a new bike as I have covers many miles on this. Just a bit disappointed as thought it would last longer as it was over £2000 only 4 years or so ago
www.performancelinebearings.com

;)

D

Deleted member 25121

I'm sure there are bike shops out there who could fix this. Explain the symptoms and go to one that responds in a confident manner.

• Agree
Reactions: Artstu

Bikesman

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
I went to the place I purchased it from Which is the only one local to me and explained what it was doing. They said it will be an expensive fix such as new motor or battery £500-£600 minimum and best to get a new one.

Advertisers