Bosch CX 2020 - lighter and smaller motor - new and larger(also length) intube battery

SAN

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 3, 2019
If the new motor and battery is showing up on nodels this fall, time will show.

What I would like to see also, and not only from Bosch, is that they build in wifi on new chargers and add the possibillty in the bikes app or a charger app to control when to charge and how many percent of the battery capacity. I would beleive that it's not any large technical challenges doing that, only the producers will to use well known technology.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Artstu and DroidOne

ninjacat

May 3, 2019
Im about to buy a Haibike and am not sure if and when they will release new models and weather I should wait till then or just buy what’s available now?

SAN

Feb 3, 2019
I'm following a German forum about this. They say that Bosch will release more detailed information June 16. If you are considering a Haibike with Bosch CX motor I would wait until that date just to see what they say about it. I will try remember and post here what Bosch release that day.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev

ninjacat

May 3, 2019
I'm following a German forum about this. They say that Bosch will release more detailed information June 16. If you are considering a Haibike with Bosch CX motor I would wait until that date just to see what they say about it. I will try remember and post here what Bosch release that day.
Thats wicked, I’ll wait till then and see what they say. Thanks!

DroidOne

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
Stockholm (Sweden)
I'm hoping they'll include built in GPS/eSIM support. It seems like a no brainer. I'd like to be alerted the moment someone touches my bike :) At least for the more expensive display systems.

A shame that they didn't make the 500Wh tube battery just a bit larger in order to make it 600Wh compatible....oh well. It's apparently 67 mm longer.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

ninjacat

May 3, 2019
I've heard nothing from Bosch on the new motor yet, anyone else got anything?

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I've seen a few articles about the new motor, if that's what you mean.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev
D

Deleted member 25121

An extra 67mm (2.6") in length of the PowerTube batteries is as lot, not only will frames need to be redesigned they will often need to be enlarged. And older style batteries wouldn't be compatible.

These seem to be are very confident moves from Bosch.

SAN

Feb 3, 2019
Sorry for the wrong date in my earlier posting. It was today at 11:00. For more details: https://www.emtb-news.de/news/en/
Which brands will come up with a new CX engine and batteries will probably be made visible in this thread (German thread). One brand has already released information about a new model. https://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/e-mtbs-mit-neuem-bosch-cx-mj2020.64101/
A bit surprising is that the new Bosch CX continues with 75Nm when Flyon and Sachs have significantly more powerful engines. Sachs (110Nm)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Artstu

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
Interesting to see today's Focus Newsletter in my mailbox - they have announced all new eMTB range, using the new CX instead of my much-loved Shimano Steps E8000. If it's better than the Shimano then it must be a significant improvement...

• Agree
Reactions: Fat Rat

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
According to the above article, all Bosch’s 2020 motors will be able to detect if a dongle is fitted and back off the assist and power, the motor will reset itself after an hour and work normally again (as long as there’s no dongle) but try dongling 3 time and the system shuts down completely !
I wonder if / when the rest of the industry will be doing the same?

Reactions: DroidOne

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Last edited:

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
I'm in two minds about the trend towards digitally locking the bike. This is where Bosch (and presumably others) prevent the motor ever firing up again if the unique display control unit is not attached on the handlebars.
If I remember to take mine off I will undoubtedly lose it, and if I don't remember, some scrote will probably remove it in my absence.
And the casual bike thief will not be aware that he is stealing a soon-to-be-useless bike unless every electric bike in the world is built like this and word has spread through society generally.
Mike

Dizer

Feb 7, 2019
Interesting to see today's Focus Newsletter in my mailbox - they have announced all new eMTB range, using the new CX instead of my much-loved Shimano Steps E8000. If it's better than the Shimano then it must be a significant improvement...
It is probably a cheaper engine to buy.

D

Deleted member 25121

Interesting point from the link:
Goodbye tuning: new anti-tuning software detects motor tuning and manipulation via sensors while you’re riding which then automatically switches the motor into limp home mode. Bosch is thus responding to the requirements of the EN15194: 2017 standard.

Expect other reputable suppliers to follow suit.

Reactions: DroidOne