Bosch CX error code 530

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Hi all,
I have a 2016 Cube reaction hybrid pro with the bosch CX performance line motor.
It's done about 4.5k and been absolutely fine until recently when it keeps on shutting itself down.
I turn it back on and sometimes it doesn't show speed on the display meaning no power, sometimes it comes back whilst rolling, sometimes I wait while rolling and if it doesn't come back I turn off then on and it works again.
It's doing this more and more now and becoming a right pain in the arse.
Today it actually showed an error code for the first time which was 530 (I think this is something to do with battery) but started working again whilst showing this error without me doing anything.

Anyone got any ideas what it could be?

Battery seems fine, not showed any signs of deterioration.

Huge thanks :)

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Maybe intermittent connection issue.
1) make sure battery is tight in holder, no rattling.
2) check, clean (cotton bud with isopropyl ie brake cleaner) , grease (electrical contact grease) battery holder terminals.
3) wires between holder and motor. Remove motor cover and wiggle cable while contoller is ON make sure assist is OFF.

If that fails try borrowing another battery, should prove if battery or bike is at fault.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately the gears shifter broke so I was forced to take it to the LBS who are looking into the cutting out issue as well as sorting the gears.

I’ll update this once they’ve found the cause of the cutting out.

Reactions: Fat Rat

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
I spoke to the bike shop today but as expected they’re unsure of the cause of the cutting out.

They’re suggesting removing the motor and sending it to Bosch but I’m reluctant to do that as I’ve already wasted too much money on this bike.

I still think it could be a wiring fault so have asked them to check again.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if it is under warranty then the motor would be free but you will have to pay to have it fitted if it is not the dealer you bought the bike from.

problem is dealers cant do much if there is no clear fault and only have the option to change parts, they are not even allowed to open the motors.

like apple they dont want parts and motors on ebay ect it is just 1 of the down sides with the bosch system.

Reactions: git-r

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
if it is under warranty then the motor would be free but you will have to pay to have it fitted if it is not the dealer you bought the bike from.

problem is dealers cant do much if there is no clear fault and only have the option to change parts, they are not even allowed to open the motors.

like apple they dont want parts and motors on ebay ect it is just 1 of the down sides with the bosch system.
Exactly, nothing they can do with intermittent faults :(

The bike is about 2.5 years old, not done many miles but has needed so many replacement parts and has been at the shop on an almost weekly basis recently.
Annoyed as it Had no serious issues for the first 2 years.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well a new motor is £670 but they will have to send your one off to bosch b4 they will sell you one.

if they have changed the batt display and the speed sensor and the fault is still there you dont have much of a option bar new motor.

• Informative
Reactions: git-r

gwing

Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2008
Chiltern Hills
Hi all,
I have a 2016 Cube reaction hybrid pro with the bosch CX performance line motor.
It's done about 4.5k and been absolutely fine until recently when it keeps on shutting itself down.
I turn it back on and sometimes it doesn't show speed on the display meaning no power, sometimes it comes back whilst rolling, sometimes I wait while rolling and if it doesn't come back I turn off then on and it works again.
It's doing this more and more now and becoming a right pain in the arse.
Today it actually showed an error code for the first time which was 530 (I think this is something to do with battery) but started working again whilst showing this error without me doing anything.

Anyone got any ideas what it could be?

Battery seems fine, not showed any signs of deterioration.

Huge thanks :)
Having just finished fxing the same problem on my wife's cube, do try wrapping a tight bungie cord around the battery and frame to keep a solid positive contact there. If that stops your problem you then have to do some adjustment to the battery holder to fix it properly (torx driver needed).

steppe

Just Joined
Apr 3, 2019
hello to all..
just encountered same problem on a nutrail hybrid, 2 year old..
problem was situated in bottom socket of battery on frame..green wire broke off.
after soldering back on was problem solvedIMG-20190330-WA0022.jpeg

Reactions: PaulfraserAust

PaulfraserAust

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 27, 2019
Im getting 530 aswell... when i press down on the battery it comes back to life... sometimes 530 or more commonly just an empty blinking battery symbol.. when it's 530 i have to turn the power button on and off.. usually after it has rained or after charging the battery off the bike it does this... I'll check that green wire!!

PaulfraserAust

Apr 27, 2019
I had the same and found simple fix for it.. id had a couple of stacks on my bike i started getting a 530... after months of getting a 530 a mate of mine had a look at it thats also an engineer.. the top battery locking bracket where the key goes in had slid upward about 4 or 5 mil ... making the battery loose.. its been 3 days now.. working fine now that it has been readjusted and a firm hold on the battery... Paul

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
If you tighten the battery holder and it does not fix the issue. We would be happy to look at the bike for you if you can get it to Hampshire? performancelinebearings.com

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
But the error code didnt come back... should i just ride on over to your shop so you can have a look.. as attentive as you are to my location as you are to the error code..
You would be more than welcome to pop in, we could put the Bosch diagnostics on your bike and see what has been going on? Delete your error codes and update the battery software and just have a general look over the electrics. Just contact me at peter.collard@performancelinebearings.com if you want to pop over.

Reactions: ebiker99

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com

SanSan

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2019
I had the same and found simple fix for it.. id had a couple of stacks on my bike i started getting a 530... after months of getting a 530 a mate of mine had a look at it thats also an engineer.. the top battery locking bracket where the key goes in had slid upward about 4 or 5 mil ... making the battery loose.. its been 3 days now.. working fine now that it has been readjusted and a firm hold on the battery... Paul
Hi Paul, we are having the same problem - please could you tell me how you adjusted the top battery bracket - there are a couple of small (torx?) bolts on the inside face, and a larger hex bolt (5mm?) which is on the bottom face going into the frame. I tried loosening the larger hex bolt but the battery holder didnt move - maybe I'm doing something wrong? Thanks

PaulfraserAust

Apr 27, 2019
From memory there was a cover on the bracket... once thats off theres the 2 x torx bolts which just loosen off.. adjust the bracket a few mm lower then tightenthem up again.. the battery holder almost needs re engineering to support it more on the frame.. i hope this helps.. pauk

Adam Taylor

Just Joined
Aug 28, 2017
Sutton, London
hello to all..
problem was situated in bottom socket of battery on frame..green wire broke off.
after soldering back on was problem solvedView attachment 29752
I'm having this problem. How did you get at the inside of the socket? I got the plastic cover off but it looks like I need to remove the motor to create slack to pull the socket up and out to check its connections?
hello to all..
after soldering back on was problem solvedView attachment 29752
I'm having the same problem. How did you get at the underside of the socket? I managed to take the plastic casing off but it looks like you have to take the motor off to create enough slack to pull the socket up and out?

Advertisers