Bosch CX Motor Initial Service Indicator

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
Hello,

Bosch CX motor running fine but the spanner icon just came up without any error codes which I believe means it's recommended to have a maintanence check.

I understand to reset this it needs to be connected to the Bosch diagnostics software - not a problem but just not passing near original bike shop for a while (weather has turned nicer!).

Anybody know what the checks actually are? I'm guessing it's just an initial service check and lots of diagnostics info that can be pulled back. Any isues in leaving this for a bit or does it need to get done now or any future warranty issues might be a problem?

If it's all well is it just case of tightening some bolts and reseting the service light or is there specific planned maintanence that needs to be done on a new bike?

Many thanks in advance,

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
I'm on my second spanner icon which has been on for two months now.
I do all my own servicing but when I got fed up of seeing it the first time the dealer removed it and said that he could set it to come on at any interval. Never thought to ask if he could turn it off completely.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Amusing when you realise the actual motor doesn't have any easily serviceable parts, I guess the feature is used for the rest of the bike.

This is set by a dealer at the time of purchase, it can be set to a number of miles or a date. Its really to check things like chain wear, brake pads, cable stretch, gear set up etc etc. Usually with a new bike you get a 30 days first free service, many people don't bother to go back.

However its beneficial to everyone if you do. If you don't feel you need to, then there is no issue with warranty etc etc. Its just a chance for the shop to check the bike over to make sure its all as it should be.

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
Thank you - much apprecaited.

Is it just a flag (ie on or off) or does it store the number of miles it came on for? If there is nothing that's serviced on the motor then I might just ask them to set it not to come on at all when I eventually get it put out.

I guess a status report of the battery would be handy every 12 months or so? Anybody got a report they would like to share of the data that's stored? I understand it reports whole bunch of data (battery condition, charge levels, time on different assist levels)

Many thanks,

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they should change it to a £ sign :D:D

D

Deleted member 4366

It's just a money-making tool for the dealer. You take it in. He connects it to his Bosch dongle to reset it and charges you £40. Nice one! Soundwave got it correct when he said that the £ sign would be more appropriate.

if it troubles your conscience, you can send me the £40 every couple of months and then just ignore the spanner.

There's nothing in the Bosch system that's serviceable. The only thing you need to do is get some grease behind and around the seal on the drive side, but I doubt that any dealer would think of that. That's if you're lucky enough to have the seal.

d8veh, again you've missed the point. Its not a Bosch Service interval.

its a bike service interval, that the Bosch display shows, to help the dealer and some customers who'd benefit from it, know that its worth checking the bike over after x miles, to make sure everything is still night and tight, gears are running smoothly, etc etc. Its standard practice in the bike industry to offer a free service after a month, this just helps with that process.

I'm not sure it says anywhere about the service costing the user money does it??

The fact a Bosch equipped bike can be plugged in and service forms printed off etc etc, just helps add value to a bike when it comes to resale.

D

Deleted member 4366

d8veh, again you've missed the point. Its not a Bosch Service interval.

its a bike service interval, that the Bosch display shows, to help the dealer and some customers who'd benefit from it, know that its worth checking the bike over after x miles, to make sure everything is still night and tight, gears are running smoothly, etc etc. Its standard practice in the bike industry to offer a free service after a month, this just helps with that process.

I'm not sure it says anywhere about the service costing the user money does it??

The fact a Bosch equipped bike can be plugged in and service forms printed off etc etc, just helps add value to a bike when it comes to resale.
Interesting that the dealer forgot to mention all that to Bikey850 when he bought the bike, or maybe he has a failing memory, like me.

zakventis

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2017
UK - Wales - Monmouth
Hello,

Bosch CX motor running fine but the spanner icon just came up without any error codes which I believe means it's recommended to have a maintanence check.
Out of curiosity, how many miles/hours have you run it for? Mine is now at just under one year of running, has done 3,600 miles and shows 639 power on hours and not a spanner to be seen! And it hasn't been back to the dealer since new - I service everything myself.

D

Deleted member 4366

Out of curiosity, how many miles/hours have you run it for? Mine is now at just under one year of running, has done 3,600 miles and shows 639 power on hours and not a spanner to be seen! And it hasn't been back to the dealer since new - I service everything myself.
The feature is provided by Bosch, but by default, it's not enabled. They leave it to individual dealers whether to enable it or not, and they can set it to any mileage..

• Informative
Reactions: zakventis

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
To be fair I can understand the bike shop putting it on - they would want to see me again to see how things are and to perhaps get an oportunity to sell me some accessories.

I don't see there being a problem with just dropping in and asking for it to be removed in a few months - it's only going to take 5mins and I don't really want them to do any service so I think it's something that would be done for free whilst I have a browse.

I think that's the benefit of local bike shops so hopefully they can continue to survive as they really do often add value.

Many thanks,

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Mine came on today at 70 miles !! Thought I'd broke it !!
You have lol

It’s interesting how different dealers are setting mileage
70 is a bit daft or is it 12months old or something

Shurm

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2018
No 10 days old but I have abused it on some trails :rolleyes: Its booked in Thursday morning for the service and a check over for my tinging noise

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
No 10 days old but I have abused it on some trails :rolleyes: Its booked in Thursday morning for the service and a check over for my tinging noise
10 days
I would get them to switch the service light off for good