Bosch Dongle for 20 Pence

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I kept hanging on for today, a shame I lost patience, I knew there would be a very cheap option one day :D

D

Deleted member 4366

Someone still needs to figure out the Bosch wiring to get a 5v supply. I don't know if it has one, although in the worst case you could use a single Ultrafire cell or three AAA cells in a box with the 0v tied to the bike's 0V.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I thought you could use a magnetic loop to generate enough power for a PIC chip and program it to set pulse rate for maximum assist to whatever you like - I reckon 25mph should be enough for most of us.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Someone still needs to figure out the Bosch wiring to get a 5v supply. I don't know if it has one, although in the worst case you could use a single Ultrafire cell or three AAA cells in a box with the 0v tied to the bike's 0V.
The USB port on the Human Interface?

Tor Atle Lunde

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2011
Oslo, Norway
I've got the ripoff dongle. It doesn't have a separate +5V, and it seems to turn itself on at a certain speed. Some say the thing has a processing unit with specially written software, but I'm sceptical. If it has, why does it once in a while trigger a 102 error code if you can't maintain enough speed over a hill?

Anyway, a separate +5V is not such a bad idea.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
My guess is that the so called rip off version and I have one too is just lengthening the pulse to create an overlap thereby halving the frequency of the pulse train. Resetting and repeating.

The Bosch system will most likely be looking for a leading edge and does not care about anything other that its frequency.

When I get some spare time I'll lash up my old scope to mine and finally see what the thing is doing. I doubt very much if there is any firmware in it at all.

quilly21

Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2010
I designed and tested (bench) a system to do this as I was thinking of speed extension of a Kalkhoff Impulse. This could be improved with a pic and refinement but was essentially a 556 dual timer using a re triggerable timer with pulse width set to just under cut off speed say 14 mph, triggering a short pulse of similar width to normal reed switch. A standard magnetic wheel reed switch providing the trigger, i had a magnetic coil providing the pulse to the kalkhoff speed sensor (sensor magnet removed or sensor turned away) the unit powered by a 9v pp3 battery the output pulse being the same width as the original but effectively delayed by the 14mph pulse width. This gives accurate speed reading up to 14 mph where it then stays until?
I now need to buy an impulse to try it on! principle should work on any system, where you can intercept the sensor. low power pic type stuff negating the need for magnetic coil, has anyone any schematics for any of these systems?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
If you move the magnet to the other side of the wheel, the sensor reducer can then be put there. A wireloop would feed the normal sensor with false information.
The reducer can be powered by a coin battery. It should work with any bike and there would be no need to mess with the existing wiring.

Last edited:

quilly21

Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2010
For a PIC chip, you don't really need any schematics. You can get ready-made project boards for Picaxe and Genie chips, where you only need to connect inputs and outputs. My stumbling block is the programming.
Some useful info here if you want a schematic;
Welcome to GENIE - The educational microcontroller system
It was Schematics for the bike control system I was referring to, someone must have them!

I find it quicker to lash up with bits I have but will refine it to micro controller once I know what is needed.
and hopefully power from existing wiring to sensor, hall effect I imagine, but who knows?

countryman663

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2013
NWest Lake District
I thought you could use a magnetic loop to generate enough power for a PIC chip and program it to set pulse rate for maximum assist to whatever you like - I reckon 25mph should be enough for most of us.
If you could set out the principle for me in a bit more detail I might be able to do this. I have the kit for programming PIC and PICAXE chips and would be willing to have a go if you describe what you want.

D

Deleted member 4366

The principle is very simple. You interrupt the signal wire that pulses, and take it as an input to your pic. You read the time between pulses and re-transmit it from an output at a lower frequency. Ideally you want to use a factor of 5/8, which will give a top speed of 25mph and you could use the display set to km to show miles and mph.

Somebody needs to confirm the voltage of the pulse t do it directly, or use the method below, which would definitely work without having to understand the Bosch system.

I'm pretty sure that the German one works lie this: It's is a self-contained battery powered unit. It uses its own hall sensor to get the pulses from the magnet. There's a coil under the side of the unit against which the Bosch sensor is placed. The PIC's output is amplified through a transistor to pulse the coil at a different frequency, but again, 5/8 would be perfect.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
or keep the pulses like they are until you reach the 15mph then keep the pulses at that speed. That's something an MCU can give that ordinary TTL does not.

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
So having tapked to the guy on es - this isnt working properly on the bh - the bike is well down on power - maybe its pulse width or something.

I can program pics and have built a kmh to mph converter chip for my old skyline - but it seems the bh is fussy on some aspect of the trigger pulses - not pulling mine apart while the warranty is good but happy to do anythingi csn for anyone else ;)

countryman663

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2013
NWest Lake District
If you could set out the principle for me in a bit more detail I might be able to do this. I have the kit for programming PIC and PICAXE chips and would be willing to have a go if you describe what you want.
Still wrestling with this. Division by 2 and multiples thereoff no problem. 5/8 still can't think of an effect method. ~will keep trying and post some ideas shortly for you to help me with

Advertisers