Help! Bosch error code 530 sudden power shutdowns

SanSan

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2019
Hello my name is San and I am new to this group,

Please can anyone recommend a solution to the sudden complete loss of power our Bosch Powered ebikes?

On my bike equipped with Nyon for navigation it says Error Code 530 return to Bosch approved dealer. (not helpful on the top of a mountain!)
On my partners bike with Intuvia it just shuts down.

We also have 2 more powerpacks and they also have the same problem. (the 4 powerpack 400 units have two software versions thus eliminating a software fault / update issue)

As we live on the island of fuerteventura there are no dealers, we had to buy the ebikes from the UK and wait 3 months for shipping as no-one will air-freight ebike batteries.

We always take our battery keys with us now, but this is happenning up to 10 times per day (about 45km per day off-road gravel tracks) and the sudden loss of power on the remote desert mountains where we live, or whilst crossing busy main roads is very dangerous.

The problem usually happens after or during off-road bumpy gravel tracks at speeds of 20km/hr+ which may point to a mechanical problem due to vibration.

I have tried cleaning the contacts and wrapping a bungy cord around the powerpack and frame but this does not work.

Any advice would be grately appreciated as I have spoken to Bosch who are "less than helpful".

SanSan

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2019
SOLVED (ish)

For anyone experiencing the same fault (sudden power shutdown) with bosh powerpacks-

Hot-glue a piece of 3mm thick foam on the underside of the battery. The glue can easily be peeled back off if need be.

I wrapped the whole powerpack in reflective coated foam used to put behind radiators in the home. It works very well and prevents the powerpacks from overheating in the sunshine too.

So far the pinicle of german engineering has been solved using a piece of foam!

D

Deleted member 25121

SOLVED (ish)

For anyone experiencing the same fault (sudden power shutdown) with bosh powerpacks-

Hot-glue a piece of 3mm thick foam on the underside of the battery. The glue can easily be peeled back off if need be.

I wrapped the whole powerpack in reflective coated foam used to put behind radiators in the home. It works very well and prevents the powerpacks from overheating in the sunshine too.

So far the pinicle of german engineering has been solved using a piece of foam!
I'm not sure that wrapping the battery packs up in a reflective coating is a good idea, batteries give off heat in operation and the coating would prevent it from escaping.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i had this happen on sunday after about a miles worth of steep climbing but i got a 503 error which is speed sensor but the power shut off and said error on the display then 503.

after about 10 mins it came back to life but never had it happen b4 but it was boiling hot and a steep climb must have pushed it over the thermal edge of the bms.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
BMS discharge mosfets or controller mosfets probably got to hot so thermal shut down until they cool a bit.

SanSan

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2019
Solution:

Thanks again for all your help. We have found a solution to the problem- which was caused by vibration:

A piece of 3mm stiff foam (styrofoam?) mounted on the underside of the powerpack.

Obviously it would be better to take to a bosh approved place, but there are no places here in Fuerte.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
i had this happen on sunday after about a miles worth of steep climbing but i got a 503 error which is speed sensor but the power shut off and said error on the display then 503.
If you have a removable LCD, it's worth checking the contacts on the back. Also, if you're using a Badass that divides the speed by two, it could be that the Bosch software wasn't happy with the very low speed indicated for so long if you were climbing slowly.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
If you have a removable LCD, it's worth checking the contacts on the back. Also, if you're using a Badass that divides the speed by two, it could be that the Bosch software wasn't happy with the very low speed indicated for so long if you were climbing slowly.
i have the purion display so nothing to clean and the connectors are not loose the motor end.

it was a 503 error and not 530 as i did have power but then cut out almost straight away like the dongle was not on all the way but never had it happen b4 and the magnet has not moved.

must of just had a funny 5 mins as all normal now.

going to slow? pmsl :rolleyes:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I don't think SW knows what slow is, from what we have seen he rides as if he's nicked the bike.

• :D
Reactions: soundwave

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I don't think SW knows what slow is, from what we have seen he rides as if he's nicked the bike.
He said he was climbing. His dongle won't help for that. Say he was doing a reasonable 6 mph up a steep climb. His dongle would tell the Bosch that he was only doing 3 mph. It's not how fast he was actually going, it's how fast the Bosch thinks he's going, which is half his actual speed.

• Agree
Reactions: ebiker99

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
He said he was climbing. His dongle won't help for that. Say he was doing a reasonable 6 mph up a steep climb. His dongle would tell the Bosch that he was only doing 3 mph. It's not how fast he was actually going, it's how fast the Bosch thinks he's going, which is half his actual speed.
it does not explain why after i turned it off and back on still said error 503 and i even reset the batt and was still the same for about 10 mins then turned back on and showed the range again.

the walk assist is 3mph so it just cant be the low speed and done plenty of climbs like that just not that hot as it was fkn boiling.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
it does not explain why after i turned it off and back on still said error 503 and i even reset the batt and was still the same for about 10 mins then turned back on and showed the range again.

the walk assist is 3mph so it just cant be the low speed and done plenty of climbs like that just not that hot as it was fkn boiling.
I only threw it out there as a possibility for consideration. I'm not saying it's the cause. The Bosch software has all sorts of logic in it. I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up a speed sensor error under some circumstances when you're using a Badass.

Your display showed speed sensor error, not temperature error. Either the values detected were out of the expected range or missing. Neither the speed sensor, nor the Badass get hot during operation as they're away from any heat sources. That only leaves the connector as a source of heat related problems unless the microprocessor in the motor got cooked and thre a wobbly, but In that case more likely everything would be wrong and you should see a temperature error code before that happened.

Last edited:

Advertisers