Help! Bosch Motor Problem?

LAM69

Just Joined
Oct 11, 2019
Hope someone can help?
I bought a Cube Hybrid eBike about 3 months ago and have been using it consistently since, shift pattern permitting, I have been blown away by its performance but have noticed that on occasion the bike feels as if it's swaying back and forth ever so slightly, it's very subtle but this loss of power is more accute across wet/damp sandy country lanes or gravely roads, on tarmac or proper bike lanes it's fine, I'm also feeling overly anal about keeping this thing clean after driving through the same area after rain which left some puddles, nothing major, enough to wet your feet at speed, but afterwards the crank felt, well, crunchy?
Has anyone else had issues with this rolling motion on the Bosch motors?
Am using WD40 to clean off the chain etc but could do with some advice on what else to lube and recommendation on best value lube to use if at all possible.
Thanks for your time

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
If you are talking about the active line motors then they have an in-built mechanism to momentarily cut power when it senses you are doing a gear change. I have noticed that bumpy ground sometimes (but rarely) seems to trigger this response even if you are not changing gear. Also it's surprising how much extra force is required to push through sandy track that is a bit wetter than a stretch you have just ridden through. This is I am sure entirely due to the increase in rolling friction on the tyres and quite normal
Mike

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
All bike chains have grease in the rollers. WD40 is a degreaser so you are actually removing lubricant from your chain by using it. No biggy, chains are cheap enough, but it will last longer if you leave it alone. Sand and oil is a great grinding paste, any oil on the chain will allow sand to stick to it. There are some water based (ptfe) lubricants that are non sticky but have to be reapplied after rain. I'm sure others will be along to say what they are having started the great, 'Chains - lubricate or not?. debate.
I used to use Flaer Guard, a waterbased protection for paintwork and moving parts, but it doesn't seem to be available any more. Anyone know where it can be had?

• Agree
Reactions: ebiker99
D

Deleted member 25121

Do you experience this behaviour in all assistance modes?

LAM69

Just Joined
Oct 11, 2019
All bike chains have grease in the rollers. WD40 is a degreaser so you are actually removing lubricant from your chain by using it.
Thanks for the clarification it's been a while since I have been on a bike, so any help on this is greatly appreciated!

D

Deleted member 25121

I find that with my Bosch CX powered ebike there's sometimes a mild sense of it momentarily surging forward when I increase pedal pressure after freewheeling for a short time, for example when cycling on rough ground and avoiding holes and rocks.
I wonder if this is what you're seeing? It's more noticeable on the higher powered modes and is caused by the sudden change in torque that I'm applying via the pedals.