Bosch Nyon '21 Q/A & Top Tips

Vim Fuego

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
Just upgraded my Bosch Intuvia to a Nyon MY21 and on the whole, very impressed. I didn't see an existing thread for users to ask questions, provide tips, so created this one.

Here is my top tip (Using Nyon firmware 2.0.3.0). When using navigation, The default setting is to route via waypoint. If the GPS doesn't pick up you have been to the waypoint, it will refuse to reroute, and constantly tell you to turn around. I found that on the main navigation screen, you can turn this off, and let it just route you from where you currently are, and not force you to visit the start.

Click "From Origin"

Change it to From Next Point You will then stop being nagged to turn around to go back to the start..

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Thank you - am awaiting my Trekking 9 with the upgraded Nyon. Absolutely hate reading manuals / instructions (do too much of that at work I guess) so any hints appreciated although need basics first. Should really have checked stuff before upgrading but online shopping basket additiona too tempting at the time.

basics - what does it do - if anything - if without a phone? Or phone with no signal? Is it removeable? You know of useful protector for when I fall off / weather protector? Charge phone or same old Intuvia will it / won’t it debate? GPS only via phone?

if you have time to add some more details would appreciate it.

thanks

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
Thank you - am awaiting my Trekking 9 with the upgraded Nyon. Absolutely hate reading manuals / instructions (do too much of that at work I guess) so any hints appreciated although need basics first. Should really have checked stuff before upgrading but online shopping basket additiona too tempting at the time.

basics - what does it do - if anything - if without a phone? Or phone with no signal? Is it removeable? You know of useful protector for when I fall off / weather protector? Charge phone or same old Intuvia will it / won’t it debate? GPS only via phone?

if you have time to add some more details would appreciate it.

thanks
The Nyon works independent of your phone so you don’t need your phone with you at all to use all of its functions. You can use the eBike Connect app to plan a route and then it is transferred to the Nyon or just plan in directly on the Nyon. You can also use the web based eBike-connect.com to plan routes and it is a bit easier on a computer screen plus you can add waypoints, and then it transfers to the Nyon when it is on a WiFi network.

All activity data is shown in the eBike Connect app and the web based system but it is only from the latter than you can send data to Strava.

You can plan a route in Komoot and it will be transferred to the Nyon. I find it much easier to plan on Komoot.

There is a handy function where you can design your own screens to show the information you want and you can change some of the predefined ones.

The Nyon is removable from the bike and I would advise you always do that when leaving the bike so the power can’t be turned on without another Nyon connected. Even better, buy the Lock feature for £7.99 in the app and the bike will only operate If your Nyon is attached, it won’t work with any other Nyon.

There it’s no charging function for phones.

You can also pay £4.49 via the Shop in the app to allow you to create four new support modes with your own power settings.

Vim Fuego

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
Nyon is the full deal, it has GPS oboard, Bluetooth and WiFi. You don't even really need to carry a phone, it will sync the ride to your home WiFi and the ebike connect website.

The unit is shower proof, removable and i think the stats and customisation it offers is really good. I'm very impressed by most aspects of it.

My only wish would be some better phone Integration, perhaps media playback control widgets and notification displays.

Vim Fuego

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
Question for someone that paid for the Lock add-on. Does it lock the nyon from being used on any other bike, in addition to the bike being used on any other display unit?

Vim Fuego

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
Interestingly for me, the Lock in app purchase has disappeared, Its only offering custom ride modes. Anyone else seeing this?

Vim Fuego

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
I still have mine. I only have that, not the custom modes.
Sussed it out. You need to be connect to (or perhaps recently connected to) the bike via Bluetooth for the app purchase to be offered in the apps shop. It wasn't showing for me, but as soon as I took my phone to the bike and turned on the head unit, it appeared again.

I guess they don't want to offer it to bikes that aren't suitable, and the app weirdly doesn't remember that you have a compatible bike and continue to offer the purchase.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Just found out my bike has arrived (whoope) after 8+
Months waiting but just told the Nyon I had added is out of stock and they will send later. Bugger. At least I will have more time to find out how to use it. Not yet had time still.. so Intuvia for now it seems.

What are differences between the set-up / cabling for Nyon v Intuvia? Bike shop will set up electrics so I just replace Intuvia with Nyon as it seems the holder thing the same? Anything I should be aware of?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it is just a 4 pin cable all the displays use the same one.

Vim Fuego

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
What are differences between the set-up / cabling for Nyon v Intuvia? Bike shop will set up electrics so I just replace Intuvia with Nyon as it seems the holder thing the same? Anything I should be aware of?
Both are the same 4 wire system, but due to some poor planning, the display end connectors are different, so the entire cable needs replacing in the bike downtube. It's not difficult, I did mine, and glad I did it myself.

The mount is different (much better) on Nyon, as is the controller unit.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Thanks - was told mount same but that they would prewire it all for simple transfer from Intuvia to Nyon? ie nothing for me to do??

Vim Fuego

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
Thanks - was told mount same but that they would prewire it all for simple transfer from Intuvia to Nyon? ie nothing for me to do??
I can't believe that is the case, there is definitely work to do. Make sure they do what you have paid them for

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

i think the old large nyon display used the intuvia mount but not the case with the new ones as pins in different location so the hole lot will need to be replaced and a 30min job.

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
Absolutely. I assumed new Nyon (as new bike). Old Nyon is more compatible with existing wiring.
The old Nyon used the same mount as the Intuvia so could be easily swapped without the need for re-cabling but the new Nyon 2 has a different mount and different connector at the mount end so it isn’t even a case of swapping the mounts, the cable to the motor has to be replaced.

ArthurG

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 20, 2021
I'm very tempted by an upgrade to Nyon from a Purion.

My bike is a Carrera Crossfuse, which I am very pleased with, apart from the very basic nature of the Purion. Halfords are not massively impressive from the customer service point of view. I had to try various Halfords kickstands they suggested until I found one that fitted. They really don't seem to know what fits their bikes. I bought a set of mudguards they recommended which were hardly any use at all, showering me and the bike with water and mud. I bought another set they recommended, and while the back one is a great improvement, but the front one cannot be made to fit. Hence, I don't think this job would be within Halfords capabilities.

Speaking to my LBS and Bosch dealer, he is happy to do it, though he has not fitted one before. He can get the very latest (8th generation) Nyon from Bosch for £460. He suggests I source a slightly older spec model as they are much cheaper and still will do everything I want (GPS routing and stats) . I'd be very grateful for any info as to where anyone here has sourced their Nyon and any other info people think useful.

If anyone can suggest a competent and experienced shop which has fitted the upgrade within sensible range of Chester, Oswestry or Shrewsbury, that would be very helpful.

Vim Fuego

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
I'm very tempted by an upgrade to Nyon from a Purion.

My bike is a Carrera Crossfuse, which I am very pleased with, apart from the very basic nature of the Purion. Halfords are not massively impressive from the customer service point of view. I had to try various Halfords kickstands they suggested until I found one that fitted. They really don't seem to know what fits their bikes. I bought a set of mudguards they recommended which were hardly any use at all, showering me and the bike with water and mud. I bought another set they recommended, and while the back one is a great improvement, but the front one cannot be made to fit. Hence, I don't think this job would be within Halfords capabilities.

Speaking to my LBS and Bosch dealer, he is happy to do it, though he has not fitted one before. He can get the very latest (8th generation) Nyon from Bosch for £460. He suggests I source a slightly older spec model as they are much cheaper and still will do everything I want (GPS routing and stats) . I'd be very grateful for any info as to where anyone here has sourced their Nyon and any other info people think useful.

If anyone can suggest a competent and experienced shop which has fitted the upgrade within sensible range of Chester, Oswestry or Shrewsbury, that would be very helpful.
I wouldn't trust this dealer, there is no such thing at 8th generation. He is feeding you a line.

I bought my nyon from Germany on eBay, with Brexit fees, total came to about £310.

The new Nyon ('21) is much better than the original IMHO. But needs a new motor running down inside the frame. Not a huge job I did it myself as the dealer didn't inspire confidence.

Reactions: ArthurG

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i went from purion to kiox and it is asking for a software update that only a bosch dealer can do, it does still work just says it every time you turn on the display.

i had a new cx motor that had the latest update but still want to be plugged in :rolleyes: