Bosch Nyon Custom Riding modes - Worth paying for?

MCX

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 13, 2015
Hey all,

I have had a merry old run around with setting up my Nyon Bosch Gen 2, (iOS phone, error 531) but seem to have it running well now (user error, I am sure!).

Has anyone had a mess about with the custom riding modes that are available -at a premium- via your smartphone?
I just synced up a new set up for the first time tonight and will get chance to try it out tomorrow on the way to work (no dongle) and am intrigued to find out if its actually worth the £3.99 that it cost...

I also wonder how you may (hypothetically of course), adjust the control points to benefit a bike with an off road dongle installed for private land use.
The idea of "tweaking" to make the most of the system appeals- as much for more mileage on longer runs, as for a quick blast round my mates dirt track.

Warranty aside, I also wonder what the impact if any ( bar usual wear and tear ) on the battery and frame you could potentially make with this system.
Considering that some retailers offer dongles as an extra, any discussion on the subject would be greatly received.

Ultimately I am on the fence about the whole Nyon system as the display seems quite fragile for my usual riding terrain, but I do love the geekiness of uploading GPX files.
I have not been able to find the media player/text message features either....Not that this is on my priority list...: /

Many thanks.

Last edited:

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I'm not altogether sure the Nyon is worth going for in my experience. Most of what is there never appears to work as expected, I'd give any extras a miss.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I've tried Croxden's Nyon and rather liked the way it displays the basic information.

Lots of users report on here the GPS stuff doesn't work, so it makes Nyon look expensive for a glitzy trip computer.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
The basic information screen is brilliant, but it makes up for it with the others.
If I was relying on the gps to get me home I'd never be able to post on here.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
If you aren't happy with the standard 4 modes, then the answer is simply - YES. You can custom map your own modes and send over to the bike. it's quite neat.

Once on the bike you can quickly switch back to standard ride modes (shown in blue) the custom modes (shown in yellow) can be turned on in the sub menu of the ride screen.

For the sake of £3.99 what have you got to lose!

MCX

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 13, 2015
Just a quick update on the custom riding modes.
Having had a faff about with them, I can pretty much say that they have done a great job with the original stock settings. I tend to fall back to these for the majority of my riding no matter what I have adjusted. May just have to experiment more...As I mentioned earlier, if you had a dongled bike this may make more of a difference - YMMV.

On another note- has anyone else noticed that the 2016 range of Haibikes all seem to come with Intuvia and not Nyon? Whats going on there then? Possibly been shelved due to problems?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Just a quick update on the custom riding modes.
Having had a faff about with them, I can pretty much say that they have done a great job with the original stock settings. I tend to fall back to these for the majority of my riding no matter what I have adjusted. May just have to experiment more...As I mentioned earlier, if you had a dongled bike this may make more of a difference - YMMV.

On another note- has anyone else noticed that the 2016 range of Haibikes all seem to come with Intuvia and not Nyon? Whats going on there then? Possibly been shelved due to problems?
There are Nyon bikes, but what you are seeing is importers/dealers selecting bikes which they think will sell.

Nyon has a dreadful reputation, particularly in the UK, which is also a notoriously price sensitive market.

So it makes commercial sense to push Intuvia bikes.

Tamas Modis

Just Joined
May 17, 2018
maglod
My wife's bike: hardtail MTB, Gen3 CX. She feels the E-MTB (3) mode unpredictable, dangerous -> we had to do something. I set these modes in 2018JUL, we have two results:
1., assistance starts with moderate force, helps agressively at climbing speed, then gets weaker. You can imagine the situation: after two months she never used the E-MTB and Turbo anymore, she was furious if i tried to warn her. I had only one shot and i created a lucky curve.
This completely fits my wife's riding style. (the E-MTB has progressive assistance, totally the opposite)
2., side effect: cca. +20% energy efficiency increasing! She uses less battery in the same trip than me. The two bikes are same, my weight +15kg more - but i am stronger. She has always much more battery at the finish since these custom engine curves.
The answer: BIG YES, definitely worth it.
Question: dear Bosch, do you really never tested any "complicated" curve for battery efficient mode?

Reactions: Audio2

Tamas Modis

Just Joined
May 17, 2018
maglod
Update: I bought probably the last Nyon retrofit set for my mtb as well. Results:
1., the efficiency increase was not correct, simple reason: she is lighter than me.
2., I am not so strong as I thought, but I had no clue without correct power meter.
3., the map/navi/gps much-much better than any phone. Maybe a pro Garmin device can be comparable. It is important if you ride in the mountains. The autorouting navigation can be really stupid, you have to check if the current direction is reasonable or not.
4., the custom dashboard is important for me, but i admit my wife dont prefer it.
Resume: today I can't imagine, how people can ride with a Bosch CX without Nyon.

Advertisers