bosch question

nightrider

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
bosch cube reaction 500 2019 model for sale on Glasgow gumtree, looking for £1500, originally £2600, says has been professionally derestricted by bosch tuningtech or whatever, thought bosch put a veto on new bosch models where you could not derestrict them anymore, but i suppose if it is a genuine bosch technician they would have the knowledge, although bit cautious about it all.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
This could have been bought in November 2018 so old motor and no problem derestricting. I believe it is the Gen 4 motors for 2020 that will have problems.

D

Deleted member 25121

2019 model Bosch systems log if they've been tampered with, I doubt whether the restriction could easily be disabled internally and the logging bypassed.

It sound very dodgy to me, you could find there's no Bosch warranty, no support and suspect reliability.

nightrider

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
2019 model Bosch systems log if they've been tampered with, I doubt whether the restriction could easily be disabled internally and the logging bypassed.

It sound very dodgy to me, you could find there's no Bosch warranty, no support and suspect reliability.

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
It would be better to pay the extra to get the latest generation motor. Ok you can't override the limiter but it is a better motor. Also which version of the reaction 500 is it? The range starts from £1999 and goes up to £2999. If you haggle well enough at a shop this price range could become around £1700 to £2600. You should be able to get 10% off a 2020 model even now if you ask nicely enough.

Of course if you really want to ride a moped rather than a bicycle that one on gumtree is for you.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
dongles do work on gen 4 motors at the moment tho a update could turn off the motors but not atm.

Tuning devices are supplied on the basis that they may only work with the software version of the bike supplied at the time of supply & no warranty or guarantee is given that these will continue to work with future software versions or upgrades.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
  • Informative
Reactions: Artstu

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield

When I had my EMTB mode removed at my local bike shop there was nothing referring to tampering in the software report. I specifically looked.

D

Deleted member 25121

When I had my EMTB mode removed at my local bike shop there was nothing referring to tampering in the software report. I specifically looked.
Have you fitted a dongle and what model year is your bike?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Bosch 2020 tuning on the Bosch CX 2020 engine

Do not carry out updates. So far, the popular RedPed solutions for Bosch , Badass Box and SpeedChip have had no error messages for the new Bosch CX 2020 motors . Bosch 2020 tuning tip: RedPed tuning in particular has worked extremely well so far. According to our current knowledge, other tuning solutions can also be optimized with the new Bosch CX 2020 motor. However, caution is advised here, because the anti-tuning measures could be activated later in your Bosch e-bike with software updates, e.g. during inspections.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon

I'm pretty sure that that's just scare-mongering. People have been spreading that myth for years, but there'e never been anything logged in the data; however, speed and power levels can give a clue that somebody has been using a dongle, but you can't prove that it's not because the bike has been going uphill all the time. If anybody asked, all you'd have to say to explain it is that you keep your bike switched off and pedal like a normal bike except for hills, when you switch it on at the start of the hill and off when you reach the top. Maybe if you lived in Norfolk, you might get a funny look.

D

Deleted member 25121

I'm pretty sure that that's just scare-mongering. People have been spreading that myth for years, but there'e never been anything logged in the data; however, speed and power levels can give a clue that somebody has been using a dongle, but you can't prove that it's not because the bike has been going uphill all the time. If anybody asked, all you'd have to say to explain it is that you keep your bike switched off and pedal like a normal bike except for hills, when you switch it on at the start of the hill and off when you reach the top. Maybe if you lived in Norfolk, you might get a funny look.
Bosch 2020 products:
Quote:
"Goodbye tuning: new anti-tuning software detects motor tuning and manipulation via sensors while you’re riding which then automatically switches the motor into limp home mode. Bosch is thus responding to the requirements of the EN15194: 2017 standard. "

There was a Youtube link on here a few months ago showing a Bosch user in Scandanavia cycling on the icy roads to a Bosch service agent and the service printout showed an entry regarding tamper detection. Unfortunately I can't find the link right now.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Bosch 2020 products:
Quote:
"Goodbye tuning: new anti-tuning software detects motor tuning and manipulation via sensors while you’re riding which then automatically switches the motor into limp home mode. Bosch is thus responding to the requirements of the EN15194: 2017 standard. "

There was a Youtube link on here a few months ago showing a Bosch user in Scandanavia cycling on the icy roads to a Bosch service agent and the service printout showed an entry regarding tamper detection. Unfortunately I can't find the link right now.
That's 2020. You said 2019. It makes a difference!

Also, when everybody starts switching to other brands because they want to keep the angle of dangle with their dongle, Bosch will soon open up the back door or leak where it is.

As I've said over the years, no matter what measure they put in place, there's always a countermeasure.

Reactions: mike killay
D

Deleted member 25121

That's 2020. You said 2019. It makes a difference!

Also, when everybody starts switching to other brands because they want to keep the angle of dangle with their dongle, Bosch will soon open up the back door or leak where it is.

As I've said over the years, no matter what measure they put in place, there's always a countermeasure.
The Youtube video was from 2019 or earlier.

I expect Shimano & Co to follow Bosch's lead with anti tampering measures, it's very much in their interests to enforce the EN15194: 2017 standard as many have pointed out on related threads.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

I expect Shimano & Co to follow Bosch's lead with anti tampering measures, it's very much in their interests to enforce the EN15194: 2017 standard as many have pointed out on related threads.
yeah right pmsl

• :D
Reactions: Artstu

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon

You're getting all mixed up. Let's make it clear. 2019 motors don't log errors when you use a dongle. 2020 ones might do.

D

Deleted member 25121

You're getting all mixed up. Let's make it clear. 2019 motors don't log errors when you use a dongle. 2020 ones might do.
Not me, I found the video:
At 2:53 - "Number of tampering incidents detected"
This video was posted in January 2019 and refers to 2018 Performance CX model Bosch ebike.