Bottle lugs too close to seat tube for battery

lpd2

Just Joined
May 19, 2019
I'm doing my first conversion with a TSDZ2 kit, the bike is a decathlon rockrider 8.1 from a few years back.

I've hit an unexpected problem; the lugs for the bottle are far too close to the seat tube to mount the battery. I've taken a picture to try and show this.

So far the possible solutions I have come up with are:

1. Mount the battery on the pannier rack - I don't really like this though as the bike is already very back-heavy when the paniers are full.

2. Mount the battery nose-down on the seat post tube. There is space for this, but it would require more reinforcement top and bottom to not stress the lugs too much. Also I'd have to ditch the front derailleur.

3. Attach a piece of plywood to the down tube, and attach the battery to this. I'd also reinforce the plywood further forward with some jubilee clips. This would mean the metal plate on the battery would be next to the plywood, so maybe this would cause some heat dissipation problems.

At the moment I think 3. is looking the best, but I would be grateful of any suggestions or advice.

Attachments

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The way round this is to drill an extra hole in the down tube and fit a product called a rivnut [ a captive bolt once tightened ] check you tube for a vid
this is a quick and more important a tidy way round the problem sorry about the music watch with the sound down:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: jarob10

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
adding a couple of M5 rivnuts is best.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK

lpd2

Just Joined
May 19, 2019
Thanks very much for all the replies, I think I will go for a combination of the suggestion in egroovers video and then some rivnuts for the existing mounts on the battery.

VillageIdiotDan

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2019
Hey egroover, that's a pretty cool idea. I'm just at that stage myself, it would be a good way of keeping the pack that bit lower. If I were doing it be tempted to add a 3rd rivnut anyway at the top of the cradle as there'd be quite a bit of leverage at the top without it. Also, is there a risk you're introducing just another 2 holes where water can ingress, straight into the bit that you wouldn't want water to go?

Maybe i'm overthinking this!

Tarka

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2019
I mounted my shark using a third rivnut and bolt through the lower aluminium plate as in the video and it is very secure.
A couple of things to be careful of, take note of the polarity of the electrical connection, it will fit in reverse if not careful, and also discharge the capacitor. That upper alloy plate can slide down and short the connections with a large spark and crack of lightning - guess how I found that out!