Bottom Bracket

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
Once again I am a Persona non grata and locked out of the Technical section, so posting here instead - Russ I know you said last time it was my cookies, but it's not. I've refreshed them, cleaned them out, hung them out the bedroom window and beat them with a carpet brush to within an inch of their lives, put them back in the oven, made fresh cookies, but still the message comes up 'you are not allowed to post a new thread here'. Grrrr, it's bugs in the forum I tell you.

(Coughs and clears throat) - Ahem! Right where was I? Oh yes, bottom brackets!
Does anyone know if the Salisbury LPX bottom bracket is a sealed unit, (the usual on most bikes these days), or a cup and cone affair?

I'm pretty sure the lateral movement in my cranks, ( visible slight movement in the axle when grasping both cranks and rocking laterally), is excessive, or maybe I'm out of touch these days and a small movement in these budget e-bikes is acceptable? On the left-hand side is the locking ring and what appears to be the adjusting cup. So, I'm thinking: that doesn't look like a sealed unit. Anyway if it isn't a sealed unit, is it safe for me to undo the locking ring adjust the cup and refit the locking ring the old fashioned way?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Once again I am a Persona non grata and locked out of the Technical section, so posting here instead -
I think his is the best place to post questions anyway Danny, many don't even see them in the sub sections, and I've sometimes come across one that hasn't had a response in days.

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
Yes Danny, sounds like the olde worlde type. Just be careful your balls don't drop out while your adjusting it!!
Ahhh, that's okay then, I'm a dab hand on the older type - you know where you are, when you drop your balls all over the kitchen floor. :eek: