Bought a bbshd powered fatbike and made a vid of what it can climb in my local dunes.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Lovely vid, though the music at the latter half isnt everyone's cup of char.:p

How was it on a standing start ?. Im in Scotland, so many of our trails you can come to a stop before a big climb, and im wondering how it copes that way. Take it from the bottom of one of those larger dunes stationary, how easy or confident it is climbing, or is it a case of its still hard to get up totally, lots of gear changes initially type of thing, if you get my meaning ?.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Great video. With the right gearing, there's really not much stopping a BBS02 or BBSHD climbing any hill. The only limit is the traction at the rear wheel, which that lovely fat tyre on your bike offsets admirably :)

Reactions: peter.c

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Have to agree a fat bike and the bbshd are a great combination :)its amazing how hill climbs in the wet are no longer a problem, but hate hand cleaning the mud

Chargeriderepeat

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2020
Lovely vid, though the music at the latter half isnt everyone's cup of char.:p

How was it on a standing start ?. Im in Scotland, so many of our trails you can come to a stop before a big climb, and im wondering how it copes that way. Take it from the bottom of one of those larger dunes stationary, how easy or confident it is climbing, or is it a case of its still hard to get up totally, lots of gear changes initially type of thing, if you get my meaning ?.
Momentum is everything of course, most of the dunes it could cold start in say third and make it up without a gear change, this is my first mid drive and I'll have to say overall the geared hub is better, the power is there straight away and you can change gear mid climb.
But for complete serious steep hill bottom start the bbshd will power up easily and woop the hub drive, eventually it will wheelie over the back and the failed climbs in the vid are because of wet roots.

Lots of clunking and not being in quite the right gear, also the hub has a much wider speed range with full torque and the chain lasts for years.

Related Articles

Advertisers