Bought a Brompton electric hub (motor only), now what? S2L or M3L?

Kernkraft

Just Joined
Nov 5, 2019
Hi everybody
I hope that I’m in the right place, I thought that I’d say ‘hi’. I recently became a bit obsessed with pedelecs and after some misfortune with a heavy and faulty e-bike; a Mezzo that I don’t have the confidence to convert and backing the Swytch Brompton project that will bring no benefit until at least March 2020; I bought myself a very cheap Brompton electric hub motor. I love to own a piece of the extremely expensive Brompton electric, especially as we have a black M3L (with silver extremities) and a white S2L; and I was playing with the idea of creating an electric tribute bike, although the stems are not right. Of course, it’s not as easy as it seems:

1. Annoyingly, I will need to source a wider fork, unless I figure out how to temper with the old ones. Any experience or advice on this?

2. I’m not sure about the controller and the battery pack. Would an older Swytch battery kit without the wheel be suitable? Occasionally they are available online.

3. I’m thinking about buying the original Brompton electric rim with angle-drilled holes, but cannot source the spokes. What would you suggest for the wheel and the spoke pattern?

4. We live in Bath, on a fairly steep hill with plenty of congestion and traffic in the surrounding streets. Because of the lower weight, I was thinking of converting the S2L first for my wife. Is that a better choice considering the location?

I’d be grateful for any suggestions.

Many thanks,

Andy

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
That motor won't work without substantial modification. It looks like the controller's inside it. the connector has at least two extra pins. What are they for?

Can you show us a picture of the connector directly into it, so that we can see the pin configuration?