Box components

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Came to my attention because they are bringing out an 11-42 8 speed e-bike cassette. Long cage 9 speed rear derailleur to fit. Yes it is MTB oriented but those of us who live in steeper parts of the world can benefit from a wider range.

By pure coincidence last week I ordered a Chinese 11-42 8 speed cassette to test on the trikes analog wheel... It will eventually go on Number Two and I will get a narrow wide 42 tooth chainwheel for the GSM. If my testing is conclusive I will get a CST motor and mount one one the trike too.

The box component cassette is made by Sunrace BTW.

I hope this is useful to some of you who like me think less gears the better.

Reactions: awol

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The cassette arrived and it looks like, well... I paid 19€ for it and not $50 plus postage

I have a few days off work and would like to test ASAP but as usual when I have a few days off there is no weather window, even for a 15 minute ride :eek:

Here is a look at the difference with the 11-40 Sunrace

Spacing is much nicer but will shifting be as nice? Mow many less heart beats per minute will those extra 2 teeth save leaving home?

If only DNP or Sunrace made a 13-42 7 or 8 speed freewheel...

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
OK so it has stopped raining! Long enough for the road to be dry and clean enough for trike riding in any case.

First road test:

- it shifts much better than it looks
- 23 speeds out of 24 work, 48:42 doesn't but that isn't an issue, a derailleur hanger extension would fix the problem which isn't really a problem
- as I suspected I spent a lot of time using 48:24 and 48:20 which is the sweet spot on flattish rolling countryside (25->30 km/h*)

26:42 provides enough torque to climb anything at very low cadence but you would have little old ladies walking faster than you! I suspect that on slippery surfaces with slick tyres hill starts would be a problem.

*This test was done by a very out of condition me, haven't been on the trike since March. Climbing out of home didn't see my heart rate getting into dangerous territory but I was still a little short of breath, my pedalling cadence was definitely much higher than with the 11-40 cassette.

Advertisers