Help! Brake Cutoff Switches.

freddi

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 3, 2019
I'm fixing up Viking VK69 which is 24v system. It was dead but now goes but still needs a lot of parts replaced. I've got a donor bike that has hydraulic brakes which will be fitted. Do I need cutoff switches, the front brake switch that's on the bike doesn't work and isn't a problem and if I understand correctly European bikes mostly don't have them. Is it a legal requirement and is it of much benefit?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There's not a legal requirement, but there is a requirement in EN 15194 that says that the motor must stop within a certain distance or time from when you stop pedalling.

Some old controllers run on for up to 2 seconds from when you stop pedalling. Without brake sensors, that's fairly dangerous. If your controller cuts power as soon as you stop pedalling, you don't need brake cut-offs, though they do add to the convenience of controlling your bike, like when you want to pedal slowly to navigate through pedestrians and tight corners.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you have/use a throttle then fit one, two can be troublesome one is easier to deal with.

freddi

May 3, 2019
There's no throttle and I wasn't planning on fitting one as I can understand why a cutout would be needed. The motor does cutout quite quickly which is probably why I didn't find it an issue having a faulty cutout switch. Will try the bike with the one remaining working cutout switch disconnected and decide from there.

freddi

May 3, 2019
Disconnected the brake cutoff switch and it made no difference to riding the bike, the motor cuts out quick enough for it not to be an issue. It was just as well I looked at the wiring as the previous owners repair was twisted wires and insulating tape!

Advertisers