Broken rear spoke changing help

Simonwwfc

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2020
Hi I’ve got a broken rear spoke on my oxygen s cross mtb mk11 does the whole wheel need to be removed and also tyre and inner tube ? Also do I need to take the rear disc off is there any thing else I need to be aware off many thanks never changed a rear spoke before

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Hi I’ve got a broken rear spoke on my oxygen s cross mtb mk11 does the whole wheel need to be removed and also tyre and inner tube ? Also do I need to take the rear disc off is there any thing else I need to be aware off many thanks never changed a rear spoke before
If the spoke nipple is still in place, presumably with a piece of spoke still in it, then all you have to do is thread a new spoke in and hold the nipple whilst you screw it in. Usually the rim tape will prevent the nipple from disappearing into the tyre.
Unfortunately, if it is on the disk side, then the disk will have to come off. Even more unfortunately, if it is on the cassette side - - - - !
Always try to break spokes on the offside front wheel :) .

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
If the spoke nipple is still in place, presumably with a piece of spoke still in it, then all you have to do is thread a new spoke in and hold the nipple whilst you screw it in. Usually the rim tape will prevent the nipple from disappearing into the tyre.
Unfortunately, if it is on the disk side, then the disk will have to come off. Even more unfortunately, if it is on the cassette side - - - - !
Always try to break spokes on the offside front wheel :) .
If the spoke is the correct length, I still don't see how this is possible.
The spoke, to be properly fitted must reach the top of the nipple and if it can do that it will be slightly longer than the distance from the hub to the spoke hole in the rim.
Also, most wheels these days are twin wall and the nipple should not be anywhere near the rim tape.

Simonwwfc

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2020
Thanks guys found out yesterday company sent wrong spokes as replacements they should have been 14 gauge 2mm 230mm length but sent around 2.79mm thickness ones and no nipples to match

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
If the spoke is the correct length, I still don't see how this is possible.
The spoke, to be properly fitted must reach the top of the nipple and if it can do that it will be slightly longer than the distance from the hub to the spoke hole in the rim.
Also, most wheels these days are twin wall and the nipple should not be anywhere near the rim tape.
Put three of these in this year on two different bikes. Push nipple into rim enough to still be able to get a grip on it with pliers, but usually there is no need, then bend the spoke to enable the thread to enter the nipple Tightening the nipple pulls the spoke straight. You can bend a spoke quite a bit and it will easily straighten but in practice it’s usually only about 5mm to long. Hope I’ve explained this correctly.

Reactions: Simonwwfc

Simonwwfc

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2020
Put three of these in this year on two different bikes. Push nipple into rim enough to still be able to get a grip on it with pliers, but usually there is no need, then bend the spoke to enable the thread to enter the nipple Tightening the nipple pulls the spoke straight. You can bend a spoke quite a bit and it will easily straighten but in practice it’s usually only about 5mm to long. Hope I’ve explained this correctly.
Thank u