Broken thumb throttle

Seanoge

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2017
Gulval, Penzance
Broke my thumb throttle, a 3 wire one. Tried other 3 wire one but no good. Tried a 5 wire one and the wheel went at top speed but couldn't control it. Bought a new 3 wire one in case the other was broken also, but no luck. If the Throttle is not connected and batterie is connected, display is as normal, But whe I connect the new throttle , the display fashes the word "info". Any ideas?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Any three wire one should work, but you have to connect the wires in the right sequence, not just plug in the connector. Show us what you've done.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Now, with everything switched on, you have to check that it's functioning properly. measure the voltage between red and black - should be 5v, then measure between white and black while you twist the throttle- should go about 1.2v to 3.8v.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Unplug everything from the controller except the battery and the control panel. switch it on and meaure the 5v between each of the red and blacks on the motor hall sensors, PAS and throttle. If all 1v still, you've blown the 5v regulator in the controller. If they come back to 5v, plug each of those things back in, one at a time and check the 5v again until you can find what's pulling it down.

Seanoge

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2017
Gulval, Penzance
I this is the controller.. I'm in trouble as it's inside the battery case so if i replace the battery I cannot access any wires.

I found a 5 wire throttle and connecter Red/Red, Black/Black & Blue on Throttle to White from bike. The motor went full speed but I could not control it.

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I found a 5 wire throttle and connecter Red/Red, Black/Black & Blue on Throttle to White from bike. The motor went full speed but I could not control it.
You had 5v then, otherwise the motor wouldn't have run full speed. You get full speed when you connect the 5v to the throttle signal wire, so somehow you had either the wrong connection sequence or you had a short in the cable.

I hate that type of integrated controller. We get loads of people on here with all sorts of problems, but, unless you're very creative or have a lot of useful equipment lying around, they're very tricky to test. Testing is the only way to get to the root of your problem.

Advertisers