Brompton KIT VS Mobiky Youri

snchz

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 1, 2014
Hi, I´m going to sell my car and I need to buy a bike to commute 1km + train + 2,5km(very hilly) and return. So I will do about 7 km at day but very hilly. I will need at least 30km real range because my city is big and I will need this range in other situations.

I need an electric folding bike with quick fold system and small because I will enter in train (sometimes with lot of people)

I´m between a titanium brompton+kit or a mobiky youri

I have tried the mobiky and I love it, is powerfull to climb and the battery is well integrated. Folding time is just 4 seconds but the big problem is that is not as portable as a brompton

Brompton foldig system would be perfect for me but I don´t like to use a bag to carry the battery.

So, these are my needs for a brompton kit:

- Fastest possible with 250w limit (law limit in spain)
- powerfull to climb with no effor
- as light as possible
- At least 30km range
- I would like to avoid the bag. Is possible to install the battery in the frame or seatpost or elsewhere?

Could you recommend me a kit? what is better option for my needs?

A store from my city sells this kit: http://biobike.es/tienda/kit-de-conversion-para-brompton-electrica

Is it a good option? is it powerfull?

Thanks!

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Reactions: superDove

superDove

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2011
Cheshunt, Herts. UK
My bad. It's not working on the Tapatalk app it works through the browser.

The challenge of heavy motors on 16 inch wheels for me is that when you come across a deeper than expected pothole you can't jump over it like you can normally.

shemozzle999 had to rebuild the wheel due to a dented rim when he bought my kit and this is why I reckon.

snchz

Mar 1, 2014
Found the post

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/electric-brompton-–-custom-build.11747/

You can choose some lightweight motor

Q85 1.6kh or Q100 2kg

Of course there are lighter motors like keyde or tongxin

I am planning to swap my SWXB motor 3.3KG to Q100 328rpm later.

Hope it helps to reduce the total weight

Pat
Thank you very much. So these are my options right?
I suppose that keyde or tongxin are lighter but less powerful right?

I´m totally newbie in this world. What´s the difference between Q85 and Q100? Any other 250 motors powerful and light weight? How about Sparticle, freedom ebike kit and crystalyte?

I would like to have the best balance between powerfull (about 20mph ad climb with no effor) and lightweight

I would like to avoid the bag in order to install the battery in the frame or an installation like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/15496120@N05/sets/72157631872735862/detail/
but only if the battery is not too big. I don´t know why but I found it more usefull to have all integrated in the bike but always maintaining the ability to fold.

And how about batteries? what do you recommend me? I will need at least 18 milles range.

Thanks!

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
For the speed and range you need at least 36v 15ah battery. It is quite big to fit to the frame for brompton. Of course you can go to the lipo route but I would not recommend for ebike newbies

Keyde and tongxin are weaker but lighter.

Q100 is more powerful than q85 but widen (q100 100mm q85 85mm). The brompton fork size is 75.3mm and it means you need to stretch the fork a lot more than q85

Other motors you mentioned are much heavier 3.3kg upto 5kg so not so ideal even they are more powerful

By the way, i can't see the battery in the photo. Where is it?

Patt

Last edited:

snchz

Mar 1, 2014
For the speed and range you need at least 36v 15ah battery. It is quite big to fit to the frame for brompton. Of course you can go to the lipo route but I would not recommend for ebike newbies

Keyde and tongxin are weaker but lighter.

Q100 is more powerful than q85 but widen (q100 100mm q85 85mm). The brompton fork size is 75.3mm and it means you need to stretch the fork a lot more than q85

Other motors you mentioned are much heavier 3.3kg upto 5kg so not so ideal even they are more powerful

By the way, i can't see the battery in the photo. Where is it?

Patt
Ok so maybe I will go for Q100. Does the fork strech affect to the folding system?

Why are lipo batteries not recommended to newbies? because difficult installation or because daily use? I will order the installation to a ebikes shop from my city so no problems in this case.

Are lipo batteries much smaller than ion batteries? in that case could I install a lipo in frame, right? Is there on the market any LIPO Battery for my needs?

In the flickr set I post I think the battery is stored in the rear bag bellow the saddle but I´m not sure. Something like that would be perfect for me but if there isn´t small batteries for my speed and range needs I will storage it on a front bag

Thanks!

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
So many question lol

Anyway, let me try to answer

Yes it does affect but not much. See my post
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/ebromptoner-must-read.16992/#post-209107
You see it folds but the total folded "thickness" is larger. For me, it rolls well.

Lipo is a very high energy battery so it means you can carry more "ah" for the same weight for other lithium batteries. However, you are not sure how to handle them it can be dangerous.
Also, you need to protect them in a hard case. When they get hit and the cells might get puff or catch fire.

If that is the battery in the rear bag , it could be the lipo battery then. It could fit two of this
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16228__ZIPPY_Flightmax_8000mAh_6S1P_30C_.html
However, for this size it does not look like you can travel far than 18miles for 20mph.

Bascially, not recommend if you are not sure.

Pat

Last edited:

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Sorry Actually when I look carefully, the saddle bag is too small to fit two

Pat

snchz

Mar 1, 2014
Hi again. I have gone today to ask to my city ebikes store where they have the brompton kit.

They have told me that the kit contains:

- Bafang 8fun motor 350w with no needs to stretch the fork. Is strange for me that an oficial and big store sells 350w motors because spanish law limits the motors to 250w

- LI-ION Battery 36V 9 Ah. very compact with panasonic cells. (here is a link with an image of the battery, is the 3rd) http://biobike.es/tienda/bateria-36v10ah-de-litio#more-609

- controller, electronics, throttle and digital display

They have told me that motor+battery weight is 4kg (8,8lb) and 5 kg (11lb) including controller and all electronic.

They install the kit with no front bag. They install the controller in a case in the rear triangle and the battery in the seat post (bellow the saddle) and the folding system is not affected

They say that the total real range is about 40km (24,8 milles) and the top speed is near 30kph (18,6mph) but they say that the aceleration is very powerfull.

How do you see this kit?

For me the pros are that the instalation is without front bug and that I will have 2 year warranty in a phisical store near home with the installation and the kit.

Do you know anything about this motor and battery? is the weight real?
How do you see this kit?

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 4366

Very interesting. I've not heard of a narrow 8Fun hub-motor. Their website doesn't show one, but it doesn't show their 250w cassette motor either. I'd be interested to know what that motor is.Does your supplier know that the Brompton has narrow forks?

is this the kit (different battery)?
http://biobike.es/tienda/kit-de-conversion-36v-ion-litio

snchz

Mar 1, 2014
I don´t know what model is it exactly. He has told me that is a bafang 8 fun 350w front wheel hub motor but maybe he is confused. He has told me that they have installed about 20 brompton kits and is no necessary to strech out the fork just retire the painting of the fork dropouts. (I have not understood this)

I will return or email them to ask the exactly watts, weight and model of the motor.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
I am interested about the narrow 8fun too.

For battery mount you can look this link
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/cheap-brompton-conversion-kit.12494/page-11

I personally do not like this mount as I have seen mount failure from ES forum when using this battery (too much vibration to the mounting point)

By the way, 18.6mph is the top speed not the average speed. For this kit the average speed is around 16mph. For you requirement 20mph average with 18miles range is not enough using 36v 9ah battery.

If you could work out the average speed and range that you need then I can check what is the best combination for you.

Pat

Tangsoo

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2014
The only motor I've seen that doesn't stretch the fork is the Crystalite G series with 74mm dropout. Got a quote from them, quite reasonable but I've decided to 'bling' my Brompton so I'm having some 100 mm disk compatible forks made.