Brompton - Sparticle vs Nano convversions

Zebede

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 5, 2016
West Berkshire
I am looking to convert my Brompton to electric power and can't decide between the Sparticle or the Nano conversions. Any experience out there to help me ?

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Seen some nice ones online...but it will invalidate your Brompton warranty. If it's still under warranty that is.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I think A to B recommend the nano?

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I have just sold a Kudos K16 to a guy who was thinking of fitting an electric motor to his Brompton...he decided that he couldn't give up the Brompton as a vanilla bike and anyway the K16 was cheaper than the conversion.
He also said that the slightly bigger wheels on the K16 were better because of the higher weight over his Brompton.
KudosDave

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Sparticle is more powerful but Nano is neater. I have the Sparticle conversion but kind of agree with KudosDave. I haven't tried a K16.

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
Sparticle is more powerful but Nano is neater. I have the Sparticle conversion but kind of agree with KudosDave. I haven't tried a K16.
I see you have two Sparticle Bromptons...... have you considered doing an in-depth review? I’m interested in how smooth it runs etc as I returned my Brompton Electric as it kept surging and switching on and off going up hills!.... So I’m considering a conversion.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I would think perhaps it was a problem with the torque sensor on your Brompton. I tried a Brompton official electric before Christmas and it seemed fine. I also tried a Pendix conversion on a Brompton and it sounds a bit like what you found. A bit stop / start with the assist especially with a low cadence. My Sparticle conversion is throttle only so no sensors involved. The newer Sparticle kits have a simple PAS sensor so shouldn’t have the same issue. My kit is the high power one but unless you need that power I would go for the standard kit that’s lighter (and cheaper). We’ve had the Bromptons for about 5 years now. I’ve covered thousands of miles mixed between commuting, leisure and even some longer touring. I’ve had a replacement motor after the original died and last year both bikes developed electrical faults so I had the wiring updated. Service from the Electric Transport Shop (Bristol) has been excellent. Our batteries have lasted well, ours are 48v LIPO. I’m not sure what batteries they use now for there 36v kits.

I am awaiting delivery of a kit from Swytch to try out for a lighter conversion. It looks like a neat solution but I reserve judgement until it arrives and I can try it out.

I’m sure you could get a test ride on a Sparticle Brompton at one of the ETS stores.

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
I would think perhaps it was a problem with the torque sensor on your Brompton. I tried a Brompton official electric before Christmas and it seemed fine. I also tried a Pendix conversion on a Brompton and it sounds a bit like what you found. A bit stop / start with the assist especially with a low cadence. My Sparticle conversion is throttle only so no sensors involved. The newer Sparticle kits have a simple PAS sensor so shouldn’t have the same issue. My kit is the high power one but unless you need that power I would go for the standard kit that’s lighter (and cheaper). We’ve had the Bromptons for about 5 years now. I’ve covered thousands of miles mixed between commuting, leisure and even some longer touring. I’ve had a replacement motor after the original died and last year both bikes developed electrical faults so I had the wiring updated. Service from the Electric Transport Shop (Bristol) has been excellent. Our batteries have lasted well, ours are 48v LIPO. I’m not sure what batteries they use now for there 36v kits.

I am awaiting delivery of a kit from Swytch to try out for a lighter conversion. It looks like a neat solution but I reserve judgement until it arrives and I can try it out.

I’m sure you could get a test ride on a Sparticle Brompton at one of the ETS stores.
Thanks for the review.. I need the power due to one new knee and another very “crunchy” and live in a very hilly area.
My Brompton went back to the factory and came back worse than before! The demo bike was fine and rode perfectly.
When the weather permits I will try out the Sparticle at ETS in York.
I’m interested tobread your review of the Swytch when you get it.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
The last email I received said the Swytch kit should be delivered in Feb. I’ll let you know when it arrives and I have tried it out.

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
The last email I received said the Swytch kit should be delivered in Feb. I’ll let you know when it arrives and I have tried it out.
I look forward to see how you get on. The only thing that worries me is dealing with a company who don’t seem to want to let you have a contact number or an address. Mmmmm!

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
I look forward to see how you get on. The only thing that worries me is dealing with a company who don’t seem to want to let you have a contact number or an address. Mmmmm!
I have posted a review here you could check it out.

Pat