Brose motor

• Thread starter Deleted member 22539
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 22539

Hi
I was just wandering if anyone has any first hand experience of the Brose motor especially the new one out this year
Obviously reliability and power spring to mind first
:)

D

Deleted member 4366

It might be a very good motor, but I think it's always better to get what most people have because there's more info about how to get the best out of it, how to maintain, how to improve, how to hack, etc.

Look at the forum member, who bought a Gazelle bike as a project. Nobody can help because they don't know anything about it.

D

Deleted member 22539

Yeah your right
My wife just fancied something different to Bosch as she liked the reviews saying it has no drag after cut off speed and is whisper quiet
But I said I wanted to find out a bit more from a real person not just a magazine review

D

Deleted member 4366

The new Bosch motors with the big chain-wheels don't have the drag and are quieter (Active and Active Plus).

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted member 22539

The new Bosch motors with the big chain-wheels don't have the drag and are quieter (Active and Active Plus).
Looks interesting but down a good chunk on torque for emtb work
I wonder how they ride ?

D

Deleted member 4366

Active line is mainly fitted to touring/commuter bikes. They're OK for light trails with the right tyres, but not for serious MTBing. The Shimano is better than the Bosch for drag and now more or less equally ubiquitous.

D

Deleted member 22539

Thanks for that
I will have to look a bit further
Will probably end up Bosch cx again at this rate better the devil you know and all that

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Hi
I was just wandering if anyone has any first hand experience of the Brose motor especially the new one out this year
Obviously reliability and power spring to mind first
:)
Reviews on new Brose motor in Levos is excellent, power delivery is meant to be as good as or better than CX and Shimano.

CX is still excellent motor and extra drag after 25kmh cutoff is never really an issue MTBing. You are either climbing under power or freewheeling downhill. Any pedalling above 25kmh is normally downhill where drag is rarely noticeable.

The drag is more issue on road and then only if bike is running road tyres, any eMTB with offroad tyres is hard work above 25kmh.

Its ergonomics of display and assist buttons is where CX falls down. I found CX Intuvia to much of distraction, replacement purion is lot better but assist buttons are still flaky. Shimano has this nailed. Kind of like Levo concept off no display, normal MTBs don't have one why eMTB.

• Informative

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
My wife has just got an active plus on her "gravel" bike, very quiet in operation and does disengage above 15mph but unlikely to be available on an emtb as it is only 40nm power but fine for her purposes. I had a Brose which I liked but had a motor replacement (and battery and display) within first year so I abandoned ship and went to Shimano which has been fine - so far.

• Informative
D

Deleted member 22539

My wife has just got an active plus on her "gravel" bike, very quiet in operation and does disengage above 15mph but unlikely to be available on an emtb as it is only 40nm power but fine for her purposes. I had a Brose which I liked but had a motor replacement (and battery and display) within first year so I abandoned ship and went to Shimano which has been fine - so far.
Thanks for the insight on the Brose
Was it a Brose controller?
And battery wise it’s manufacture source batteries I don’t think Brose make or supply batteries
Who’s bike was it just out of curiosity
Cheers

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
Fogo, the bike was a Bulls and yes, the battery was a BMZ and I think the controller was too. The UK Bulls importer is also the BMZ service centre which is handy!

D

Deleted member 22539

Fogo, the bike was a Bulls and yes, the battery was a BMZ and I think the controller was too. The UK Bulls importer is also the BMZ service centre which is handy!
Thanks
Nice to know what’s fitted and where
I’m still doing reviews for all the big 4
It’s a tough one thou

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
What bikes use that motor?
check there dealers but last time i looked they was for town bikes and step through frames ect might have to wait a bit for a mtb version.

Related Articles

Advertisers