BS10 vs Giant TCR3 advanced vs The Wind !

rippedupno1

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Dudley,west midlands
Hi,
I thought I would share this mornings ride as it really showed up the plus side of ebikes (and it has to be said a big minus,ie,range).
The picture :
Me,50 (last oct) 80 kg (12% body fat ) powerful ( been a personal trainer for 30 years ) Fairly fit (gave up smoking last march ) 4th knee op last summer (too much heavy squatting and rugby )hence to move to ebikes. Bike is a Kalkhoff bs10 ,350w.400 kw battery ,Bosch speed pedelec that weighed 20.25kg on the scales this morning.
My client ,27, 68 kg (9% body fat ) average gym strength. seriously fit, never smoked and no injuries. Bike is a Giant TCR3 advanced full carbon with ultegra plus mega trick wheels, carbon seat post. carbon clipins etc. Weighed in this morning at 7.21 kg.
The Route is one that I made past the gym where Iam based 3.3 miles laps all left turns,1 set of lights at the bottom of the only hill ,total climb is 107ft each lap, half of the lap is through a quiet industrial estate the other on main but fairly quiet main road. We tend to do around 8-10 laps on a Saturday morning and have been doing HRM training since Christmas. I use sport setting (3 out of 4 )
We are remarkably close each week, each of us has managed to push our average speed up to just on 20 mph, neck and neck on the flats, I blitz him on the climb and then he comes hurtling past me on the descent doing over 40 whilst Iam struggling with cadence at around 31mph.
However ,today was a different story, he is on annual leave and asked to do an extra session as it was sunny.
Yeah it was sunny but god the wind!!!! Endomondo said the wind averaged 25 mph sse but the gusts were extraordinary, you know the ones which make the heart skip a few beats, looking back on our previous rides the wind has been between 7-10 mph .
We started off together neck and neck as normal but after 0.5 of a mile the road turns slightly to the left and bang, the wind started, and I just left him for dead and never saw him again until I lapped him. My average just down to 19.0 mph but I had to work much, much harder to achieve it, my average hr was up to 143 instead of around 130 and several times my hr hit 170 when the gusts literally tried to stop me in my tracks. He averaged 14.8 mph with his average hr at 170 up from the usual 150 with max approaching 200!
We managed 22.3 miles before my battery went dead and this was only using level 3, god only knows how few I would have got if I had been using L4! I normally do the 30 miles and have about 6 or 7 miles left of range to get me home. Let me tell you it was a sobering reminder how much help you get from any ebike when you have to cycle the 2.4 miles home in that wind with a dead battery, I was lucky to see 11 mph.
As I type this Iam aware that Iam more tired than normal and my knees are sore (probably from the unassisted ride home) but I have just had a text from my client which reads "totally shattered, am going back to bed!"

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
"beat hills, banish headwinds" we always used to say - great to hear power assistance really did make a difference out on the road!

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Let me tell you it was a sobering reminder how much help you get from any ebike when you have to cycle the 2.4 miles home in that wind with a dead battery, I was lucky to see 11 mph.
Sobering's the word, all right - Just as you've convinced yourself you don't really need the assistance, Wham! :confused:

Reactions: rippedupno1

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
L3 and L4 give exactly the same amount of assistance in a lot of situations, it's only when you match the right cadence and pressure that the Bosch requires to gives its most on a steep hill that L4 gives a slight advantage. Well that's what I've found.
and yes a headwind uses masses more battery power. I wonder if we could ever give up an E-bike now....

rippedupno1

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Dudley,west midlands
That's interesting as although i have only used L4 on a few occasions I found the difference to be quite dramatic (an extra 70%) in fact when i did a battery test the other week on L4 for the forum I commented on the fact that i found it almost too fast and too easy, sounds a bit weird but that's how i found it.
I agree entirely with the question of whether we could give up ebike s now, i have been asking myself that question all evening and although i would love to say oh yes of course i could, but if I am being honest then, no i definitely couldn't. It seems to me that it gives you all of the pleasure of unassisted riding but the crucial thing is that we get to decide how much pain!

Reactions: Geebee and Artstu

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I suppose the power difference could be because mine is less powerful being a hub geared bike.
I'm with you on deciding how much pain, I'm trying to work a bit harder on the bike, but it's not easy with that switch just a thumb click away.

rippedupno1

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Dudley,west midlands
Yes the temptation to keep upping the assist is hard to resist .The answer for me was to use a HRM, it stopped me killing myself every ride . I decide how hard i want to work(assist level), and the heart rate zone i want to keep to and off i go. It has has helped me big time and my performance has improved considerably, whilst saving me and my knees from my over exuberant self.

Reactions: Artstu

Advertisers