Budget kit recommendation

Chris.mitu

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2015
Kent
Hi,
I am building my own bicycle frame and 18650 battery pack by recycling cells from laptop batteries.

Doing it all on a budget and would like to turn it into an ebike.

I'd like to keep it road legal. Would you be able to recommend a 250w budget rear hub motor with 26"wheel disk brake compatible with appropriate controller, pas , throtle, possibly lcd/led(not a big requirement) that could be made to run off a 48V battery.

48V in the hope that it has more torque/rpm or that's not how overvolting works and I should stick to 36V?

Ideally the motor should be able to cruise at 20mph(over the 15mph - I know :) ) on the flat and I'm guessing it needs to have the ability to remove the 15mph limit.
I started looking at used 250w hub motor with wheels but realised that I wouldn't know where to start to pair compatible controllers etc.

I intend to do very little pedaling as the last requirement so should hopefully manage my 90kg on the flat and up the hills with light pedaling.
Thanks

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Generally laptop cells aren't much use as they are of low capacity and amp rating.
Mixing various different cells again is a no-no as capacities and resistance will vary and the pack after all your work is likely to fail, power delivery likely to be poor with deep voltage sag. If the battery was 14 - 20 in parallel there might be hope but a battery of that size won't be small.

What branded cells are you using and designation ?

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You can get 250w 48v freewheel hub about £125 via China though may have other fees on top maybe £30, then it will need lacing and trueing into a rim.
The option of used already in a rim may be cheaper option if it is in good working order. Best bet for controller is a KT 17 or 20a with lcd3 these often have speed wire you can unlock though speed will depend on motor winding anything above 250rpm should get you 20mph @48v.

You ideally want a sensored hub so must have 8 or better still nine motor wires or a nine pin Julet connector.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Reactions: Chris.mitu

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Voilamart is a weedy motor overvolting it will likely burn it out but you could give it try and tell us what happens.
No display so will be will be a speed controller with little no smooth delivery of power /control.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
48v 250 isn't common.
Over volting 36v means replacing the controller for a 48v capable one, if doing that you are better off with a torque/current control one with 5 levels of PAS for better power delivery.

Chris.mitu

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2015
Kent
48v 250 isn't common.
Over volting 36v means replacing the controller for a 48v capable one, if doing that you are better off with a torque/current control one with 5 levels of PAS for better power delivery.
How do I know what controller has those characteristics?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Kuenteng KT ones have those characteristics.
If unsure post a link of the item as you have with the hub.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You can overvolt the Voilamart motor OK. You can overvolt any motor, except that you can run into problems with motors that already have high speed. It's complicated but you have to make sure that the motor's power and speed are compatible.

The controller in that kit is pretty bad by modern standards. The pedal assist will be terrible at 48v. It's worth spending the money to get a decent one that has an LCD, five levels of assist, sine wave commutation and power control.

Reactions: Chris.mitu

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Is this any good? Any chance it would just work with a 48V battery?
Yes and no. That kit comes from Ding in China. He uses the Daskit brand to try and sound German. The kit is well made, and it'll do everything you want. It's a plug-and-play kit, but like all kits with those connectors, it's virtually impossible to use a meter on it to diagnose any problems that develop. Also, he normally uses his connectors the opposite way round, so if you ever need replacement parts in the future and are unable to solder new connectors, you have to buy from him - if you can.

I doubt that that kit can run at 48v. The motor will be OK, but you'd have to chuck the rest.