Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 20, 2021
Hi,

Just want to ask which is is the best, I am considering:

volt hybrid
vanmoof
carrera crossfuse
or boardman hybrid electric

all around the £2k region, it would probably be no contest to the vanmoof if I could remove the battery.

Reactions: Rocket G

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Welcome manxcat

There is no answer to that. "Which is best" depends entirely on what features and capabilities you need and want, what purpose you're going to use the ebike for, and what terrain you're going to cover. None are dogs: There'll be very happy owners of all of them.

manxcat

Nov 20, 2021
Welcome manxcat

There is no answer to that. "Which is best" depends entirely on what features and capabilities you need and want, what purpose you're going to use the ebike for, and what terrain you're going to cover. None are dogs: There'll be very happy owners of all of them.
Well the carrera and boardman have a torque measurement system, I think thats kind of a nicer feeling instead of the sudden onslaught of cadence ones.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I have ebikes with torque, RPM, and cadence sensors. They're all different and each offers a different riding feel. Each method has their advocates.

Torque requires some user effort, Cadence doesn't necessarily; how the power is supplied is a function of the controller used and how it's been programmed. Some are really well programmed, and some poorly.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I'm sure the VanMoof is very smooth. I'm not sure how easy repairs are going to be a few years down the line. I don't like the idea of completely nonadjustable handlebars. I can't see any information on it's gear range; not sure about With four speeds to flatten every urban incline. Not sure I'd like that style of security system ; makes me think of Tesla drivers left unable to start their cars after outage (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-59357306)

I am sure that overall it isn't the bike for me, but I can see it might suit some people perfectly.

manxcat

Nov 20, 2021
the volt apparently has a boost lever like the vanmoof to give u max power when starting off.

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
The Fazua drive on the Boardman is very good "out-of-the-box".

You also have the ability to hook up the drive to a PC and tune the assistance levels etc. to suit your style of riding.

Reactions: Rocket G