Help! Buying online help

Davetaff

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2021
Hi all, I'd really appreciate your help. I'm looking to buy a ebike but don't know what to do for the best. I want it for commuting but I need to go up a big hill to get to work. I don't want to be all sweaty when I get in so would like something with power. The route is off road so I would like something with decent power. I've tried a 750watt bike which was ideal, but not sure about the legalities. 250 watt sounds quite low in comparison. I'm 6 ft 2 inch and looking to spend no more than £1.2k. This bike looks good but not sure if it is legit good or not. I'm so sick of looking I will literally buy what someone in the know sends me a link to! Please help.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
buy cheap buy twice but that bike is junk hub motors dont work very well on fs bikes and if you want to commute of road it will fall to bits in no time at all esp if you remove the speed limit.

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi all, I'd really appreciate your help. I'm looking to buy a ebike but don't know what to do for the best. I want it for commuting but I need to go up a big hill to get to work. I don't want to be all sweaty when I get in so would like something with power. The route is off road so I would like something with decent power. I've tried a 750watt bike which was ideal, but not sure about the legalities. 250 watt sounds quite low in comparison. I'm 6 ft 2 inch and looking to spend no more than £1.2k. This bike looks good but not sure if it is legit good or not. I'm so sick of looking I will literally buy what someone in the know sends me a link to! Please help.
The NCM Moscow will be fine for what you want.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
2t0w is just a label, not the actual power. Peak power is around 750w, which is more than most. The speed is slightly harder to deal with. NCM offer a derestriction Das Kit LCD for about £150, though you can use a standard one (not Das Kit) if you cut the connectors off and solder the wires for anout £50, or you can get a Das Kit one with the right connector from an unrestricted Das Kit bike for about £75 IIRC. Das Kit is a Brand added to standard Chinese Ebike Kit. They reverse some of the connectors so that you have to buy their spare parts. They have their own version of software in the NCM bikes. AFAIK, the only difference from standard is the speed limit.

Davetaff

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2021
Okay, thanks. It's starting to get a bit complex but if you think this is the best way & best bike option then so be it. Really appreciate your help.
Is there a particular store or online shop that you would recommend i get it from? I have a cycle to work scheme option with work so hoping I can get it through that. Thanks.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Okay, thanks. It's starting to get a bit complex but if you think this is the best way & best bike option then so be it. Really appreciate your help.
Is there a particular store or online shop that you would recommend i get it from? I have a cycle to work scheme option with work so hoping I can get it through that. Thanks.
If you want a legal bike, it's the best option. You can only buy that bike from Leon Cycles because they are the agents for Das Kit bikes in the UK.

The reason this bike is suitable is that it has a 48v system, which gives 33% more power compared with the equivalent 36v system. Most ebikes run at 36v. Some other 48v bikes would be suitable. There are some on Ebay, but mainly with small fat wheels. Don't be tempted to get one with the big 750w/1000w/1500w direct drive motors. They nearly always have under-rated batteries, they're very heavy and not particularly nice to ride.

The Speed limit situation is not at all complicated. The limit is in the LCD software. There are three versions of the LCD:
1. Fixed 15 mph max speed special to NCM UK bikes, like the Moscow.
2. Adjustable speed limit with same connector as NCM Moscow, found on other Das Kit bikes and avaialable as a spare part. Leon Cycles will sell it for £150 as a spare part.
3. Adjustable speed limit with reversed connector, found on many bikes, as it's a standard catalogue part. It can be bought from Aliexpress and sometimes Ebay.

There's another reason to get an alternative LCD. Normally, the LCD has three power settings as well as 6 speed/power levels. The power setting is a current limit, say, 5 amps, 10A and 15A (Eco, Normal and Power IIRC). The Moscow one is locked - I think on the max.

You can read a lot about it here:

The NCM Moscow is not a bad bike as it comes. It's just that you have the opportunity to make it a lot better. If I had one, I'd strip out the controller and LCD and fit a KT controller, which gives you complete control over power and speed and it's a lot simpler and nicer to use, and you can fit a throttle. Total cost about £80.

Last edited:

Davetaff

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2021
I'm 6'2 so I would assume I would need the larger 29 size which is sold out :confused:.
I'm not fussed about it being legal or not. I won't be being a prat on it and don't really see anyone on my route back and forth to work. Any other suggestions...? Thanks again.

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
IMHO the NCM Moscow is an excellent bike. I've had mine for over two years and have covered 11000 km without any issues other than wear and tear. The speed restriction can easily be overcome if you're handy with a soldering iron and need cost no more than £2 for a suitable generic board which you can program with Arduino IDE

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Any other suggestions...?
the Woosh Camino is in stock and would suit your budget and your height.
700C wheels, 20" frame, hydraulic brakes, Suntour NEX suspension fork, 8-speed gears, suspension seat post, mudguards, rack, lights, bell, reflex tyres.

Also, it comes with 17AH battery giving you about 60 mile range.

https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?camino

The Woosh Faro may also be worth a look, it's also in stock.
It is a cheaper bike with 8AH in-frame battery, also with 700C wheels, 20" frame, hydraulic brakes, 8-speed gears, suspension seat post, mudguards, rack, lights, bell, reflex tyres.
Its main feature is it's very lightweight, one of the few e-bikes that you can ride it most of the time without power.

https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?faro

Davetaff

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2021
IMHO the NCM Moscow is an excellent bike..
I'd love to have one, but they are all sold out and I can't see anywhere else I can buy them from other than Leon.

This is part of the pain of my searching. Find good advice only to find out I can't get the bike that was recommended. It's a painful loop.

Davetaff

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2021
the Woosh Camino is in stock and would suit your budget and your height.

https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?camino

The Woosh Faro may also be worth a look, it's also in stock.
It says the Camino is out of stock but I can order for mid August. Unless you see something I don't.

Would the Faro be able to be Bypassed to increase the speed? There is a 17ah option. It does say that my height 6'2 is the top size for the bike..

Once again, really appreciate the advice all.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It says the Camino is out of stock but I can order for mid August. Unless you see something I don't.
the Gran-Camino is being shipped from Shanghai this week, arriving in August, the Camino and Faro are in stock at the moment.
Would the Faro be able to be Bypassed to increase the speed?
we don't support derestriction.

Davetaff

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2021
Okay... Thanks for the advice all, but I'm still no better off. Any other thoughts or recommendations? Large frame, derestricted 500-750w bike £1-1.4k which is in stock.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
derestricted 500-750w bike
you won't find any UK companies doing derestricted bikes.
Derestricting a kit is different where the person who fits the kit is the manufacturer. He can't blame anybody else if he is in hot water with the law.

Reactions: richtea99

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you won't find any UK companies doing derestricted bikes.
Derestricting a kit is different where the person who fits the kit is the manufacturer. He can't blame anybody else if he is in hot water with the law.
martin at ebike shop will sell you a dongle tho and is the biggest haibike dealer in the uk and also keep the warranty :p

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
martin at ebike shop will sell you a dongle tho and is the biggest haibike dealer in the uk and also keep the warranty :p
Martin does not make the bikes though.
He does not have to put EN15194 stickers on the bikes.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Op want's a moped really but most don't want to pay for insurance, mot etc,etc and expect to illegally ride fast on an overpowered push bike. In law these are still mopeds.