Byocycles Ibex 26

crankyhorse

Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Picked the bike up and rode it home.

It was slow, heavy and hills were murder. Yes the battery needs a charge before I use it so I can't say any more than that until tomorrow.

I can say that it handles ok and the cranks are a very shiny polished aluminium.

The ads said the forks has a lock out but they don't. Not a problem as they don't travel much and just take the lumps and road buzz away.

It does not look like a cheap supermarket bike as I had feared, sure it's no Bianche but its pretty well finished.

I do not look forward to the day I have to lift it on to a roof rack cycle carrier. :rolleyes:

crankyhorse

Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Been to work and back today and I only broke a sweat because I was carrying a heavy rucksack, due to the pannier bags I have not fitting the bike.

None of the hilly bits on my commute challenged the motor and I just went up the second steepest hill around and although I did have to put effort in I got up without getting out of breath, which is a significant improvement on the gasping wreck I am on my mountain bike on that hill.

The gearing is not bad and the top cogs are high enough that you can keep accelerating down hill once the motor cuts out at 15mph and the lowest gears will be useful for steep hills.

I've noticed there is no holes in the frame for bottle cages so I can't mount a cage or my mini pump, which is annoying. The handlebar grips are plasticy and not great and because one is a throttle I can't just fit my favourite Richey grips. I will probably just wrap road bike bar tape round them at some point.

crankyhorse

Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
The clip on panniers I have do not fit the rack because the battery gets in the way of the clips doing what they should do. To get round this I have ordered some Basil Mara pannier bags for when I do the shopping.
I intend on using the bike a lot more than I currently use my MTB.

Hardly using the car should save me about £100 in petrol a month. If this works as planned I will go completely car free next year and buy a top specced ebike. When I need to do a long distance trip I will rent a car. I estimate I could then save £300 a month.

crankyhorse

Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
My plan to use the bike for all local travel is working, the only time I used the car all week was when I had to go to buy a new inner tube due to a puncture.

I got the shopping for the weekend today, did a fifteen mile round trip and I broke a sweat and im a bit tired but did not collapse in a heap when I got home. People who say you don't get exercise on pedelecs are talking out of their behinds.