Cadence with age

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
10 year ago I found a cadence of 120-125 easily acheiveable.

Now at the age of 52, I can't get past 105 rpm. 80-95 being usual and comfortable.

When mtb'ing on non electric bikes a good sprint with loads of leg revs is handy.

A mate of mine seems to thing that its down to my age and that I will never be able to improve.

Anyone out there found the same or have any thoughts on the subject?

Cheers SRS

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It is definitely an age thing, but is variable with the amount of cycling and high cadence practicing.

A few years back in my early 70s my cadence had dropped quite a lot, but after a spell of practicing higher cadences I hit 114 on one stretch. So it can be rebuilt even in the mid 70s. However, I no longer bother since at almost 80 it's more about preserving what I have for as long as possible rather than overdoing it.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
A mate of mine seems to thing that its down to my age and that I will never be able to improve.
He's pretty much correct, unfortunately.

While it is possible in some cases to set about a training programme to improve on static or declining performance in any sporting endeavour, any resulting improvement can only be short-lived. Sadly, the effort, both physical and mental in order to maintain a very high physical output level in middle age is more demanding than most of us wish to suffer.

That is why no older rider has ever won the TDF and why footballers over 40 are unlikely ever to score the winning goal at Wembley. As you know, I'm sure, swimmers peak quite early and are usually long past their best by 30. Sprinters peak from late 20s through to early 30s and cricketers generally don't function so well past 35.

Cycling, whether as sport or high-intensity training is a very demanding, muscle-sapping workout so hats off to those, rather unkindly named, MAMILS, who keep going out there and doing it in that hair-shirt way that they do. I'm a leisure-cum-utility cyclist and with a collection of debilitating disabilities to my name and shame, I just do what I can. If I could walk, I'd do lots of that as I used to enjoy it. Cycling is a different kind of action so I can do more of that than walking and there are always opportunities to rest the legs thanks to gravity while on a bike.

Many fight against the onset of ageing but while it's a good idea to stay fit and active as long as we can, the fight is futile. Nonetheless, we can grow old gracefully because of all that we have learned and continue to learn. The U3A is testament to how well older people can cope in many, many ways. It's a university from which nobody graduates but none of the students care! They just enjoy the journey in good company. How nice is that!

Tom

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
swimmers peak quite early and are usually long past their best by 30. Sprinters peak from late 20s through to early 30s and cricketers generally don't function so well past 35.
Overall the peak age is said to be about 28 years, climbing up to that and then declining steadily thereafter.

I unintentionally flattened out my peak since I smoked from an early age and very heavily in the 20s, 30s and 40s. So my performance was poor when it shouldn't have been but greatly improved year by year from just before 50 when I suddenly stopped smoking.

In consequence and as unbelievable as it might seem, at almost 80 I can walk rapidly up my steep hill to home or up to my garage without getting out of breath, but at 40 I couldn't! (I've lived in the same home for 49 years).

Last edited:
Reactions: oldtom

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have been wondering about my cadence not having a tool to mesure it, but going from the cadence calculator http://www.bikecalc.com/speed_at_cadence I would say sprinting about 115 and 90 at regular rate.

My pedelec has helped me lose 4-5 kg and I am not far from form weight at about 77-78 kg at the moment.

Of course there is sprinting then there is endurance and endurance runners often come to their prime in their mid 30's. I had a period from 36 to 38 where I did a lot of training - 1 km in the pool and 60-70 Km on the skiff every week and got back down to my form weight of 76 kg having been around 81. Eat, sleep, do sport was the program... Felt great though.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Seems that my mate may be correct.

Oldtoms "the fight is futile" you are obviously right but I'll keep fighting as age increases.
Flecc seems to be proof that life goes on despite bodily abuse and as an ex heavy smoker I am encouraged his comments.

Well my mate may be right and I may never get back the speed I once had but I am comforted by the fact that I am the only one out of many of my mates that actively excercise.
May not make me live longer but I'll definately feel better whilst I do live.

Cheers SRS

Advertisers