Cageless water bottle...

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Isn't the idea the bottle hangs off two bolts partially screwed into existing bottle cage mounts?

If so, it's not suitable for handlebar mounting.

Hard to see much of an advantage in most situations, although you could remove the bottle in any direction and without having to lift it clear of a cage.

Could be handy if you have mounts in a tight spot.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
has anyone tried the careless bottles?
no. I would like to know if anyone has come across a way to hold a water bottle to the downtube without using cage bolts though.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I am still looking for a useable solution to the fs e-MTB water bottle problem.
Have you considered the cages that fit onto the back of your seat?
If you regularly manual or hang over the back wheel etc, then they aren't going to work of course, but if you tend to ride in a conventional seating position, they work well. I have a double bottle option on the back of my trekking hardtail and its very handy for longer trips. Not sure what would happen bombing down a mountain though ....
I think I have a 'Tacx Saddle Rail Adaptor'

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Have you considered the cages that fit onto the back of your seat?
If you regularly manual or hang over the back wheel etc, then they aren't going to work of course, but if you tend to ride in a conventional seating position, they work well. I have a double bottle option on the back of my trekking hardtail and its very handy for longer trips. Not sure what would happen bombing down a mountain though ....
I think I have a 'Tacx Saddle Rail Adaptor'
Discounted the back door option due to dropper post and rear mounted camera. I also discounted the bar mounts due to having the cage stuck there even when not needed. I like the Reise Muller option but only their bikes have that fitting. Was hoping someone may have tried the cageless bottles.

D

Deleted member 22539

No not for me. I hate backpacks when out cycling but in the warmer weather one needs to drink..
I hear you
But for me I carry tubes tools etc and can’t stick stuff hanging off my bike
We’re all different thou :)

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
All I will say is camelback:)

Definitely. :)

I use a 2L Classic for local rides, and a 3L Mule for longer rides. The Mule also carries my second battery, and more often than not, my trail clearing tools.

I do have a bottle cage on the pedal mtb though, but only ever use the bottle option for the shortest of rides, where I don't want to carry anything at all.

Last edited:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Fully respect all you guys that go off into the wilds for half a day and need ther backpack solution and thanks for the advice, but due to my own personal situation I cant really go out for much more than an hour and cant risk being late back so dont need that option.
I was hoping someone may have tried the cageless bottles but it looks like this is one of those rare occasions on this site when the question cant be answered... at least not until my delivery arrives..
I have ordered what i hope is my solution..
https://www.evanscycles.com/bontrager-bottle-cage-handlebar-mount-EV166519
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Fabric-Cageless-Water-Bottle-600ml_86013.htm#
This should give me a small bracket on the bars when no bottle is needed and any issues locating the pins when riding should be offset by the location of the mount.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Went to buy one from halfords this morning but can't get one till next week. Then I saw this one which is a bolt on rather than a wrap around so I thought it was more likely to be secure on the tapered bars.

Related Articles

Advertisers