Calibrating The Torque Sensor On A TSDZ2 in simple English

Perryb67

Just Joined
Oct 20, 2020
I need to calibrate the torque sensor on my TSDZ2. I've read the instructions on GitHub, but they seem to be written in Romulan. Either I'm missing something or GitHub ass u me s. Doesn't help that I'm dyslexic.
The link I'm talking about is:
How To Calibrate The Torque Sensor

Would someone be willing to PM me and I'll give out my phone # so we can talk?

Is there a link on the web that explains calibration in more detail for someone like me?

Thanks,

Perry

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Why do you need to calibrate. They work out of the box........
Well sort of?
Sometimes?;);)

Perryb67

Just Joined
Oct 20, 2020
Why do you need to calibrate. They work out of the box........
Well sort of?
Sometimes?;);)
Unless you changed the motor settings the sensor self calibrates every time you power on
if standard just power up do not touch the pedals for 20-30 seconds
I have the OSF version 52v TSDZ2 motor that was purchased last January. When I apply power going up a steep hill the motor will cut out for a second or two. I've been told my torque is set for someone lighter and less powerful than myself.

If I baby the motor up a steep hill (under 200 watts human power) it will climb just fine, but at half the speed my wife can climb with her new OSF version 52v TSDZ2 motor with the same 21 ah Hailong battery. Switching batteries with hers makes no difference.

I've reset the programming with no difference. It's not motor temperature, since I live on a two block hill with a 14-17% grade to our condo and it does it at 40 F if I just go to the bottom and immediately climb back up.

I'm not here to argue if I should calibrate the torque sensor settings in the OSF.

I'm here to see if someone who has actually calibrated the torque sensor settings would be willing to talk to me.

Thanks,

Perry

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Tried the open source 48v version fat bike 100mm 18 amp motor with the 850 c display not overly impressed but never tinkered. Swizz might be able to help, i actually understood the plain English how to posted a few days ago :eek: must admit given up and gone back to Bafang

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The torque sensor gives a numeric value to the software. The value depends on the load on the pedal.

You don't need to calibrate unless something is wrong with those numeric values. Your first step, therefore is to see what values you get from each pedal. All you do is go to the technical configuration menu, then when you put a weight on the pedal, you can see the numeric value.

They've provided a spreadsheet so that you can enter your weights and numeric values to plot the graph. You can then compare your graph to theirs for each pedal to see if anything is wrong.

Do that first, then, if it needs adjustments, you have to proceed to the next step.

The spreadsheet is a very simple document that you can make in Excel or open Office calc. They've locked it, so you have to make a copy to enter your own values. If you can't figure out how to do that, I can make a sheet for you as long as you have Excel or Open Office. Open Office is free to download.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
Perry,

Afaik the instructions on GitHub relate to using a non standard display with the TSDZ2 motor which may be why it is not making sense - I see though you are using open source firmware so maybe you are running a different display?

It may be worth popping a comment on ***this post*** on the Empowered People blog. They are experienced with the TSDZ & OSF.

Isla x

Robert Clark

Just Joined
Aug 16, 2020
vfr400,
In the torque sensor screen, none of the numbers respond when I put weight on the pedals. Thus, I cannot get past step one of calibration.

How do I know what the torque sensor response is to weights if the numbers in the torque sensor display (860C, version 1.1.0) do not change?

Is there another setting in the 860C that I need to set before I measure the response to various weights at various points around the rotation of the pedal/crank?

I’m at an impasse for calibrating my torque sensor! Please help!

uniquebobc

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If the numeric value doesn't change when you put different loads on the pedal, your torque sensor is not working.