Came off today ouch!

Bobbish

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 24, 2018
Addingham
www.youtube.com
Going to work this morning came off my Cube Reaction Pro Hybrid on a corner backend just went away from me. Grazed hip banged shpulder and elbow. No damage to bike though apart from grazed derailer
Either oil or slimy road with salt.

See it here

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Bad luck, sorry to hear that. Quite probably a commercial's diesel oil which often crops up on bends when overfilled tanks with a leaky filler cap slurp some out. It only needs a tiny amount to spread over a wide area, especially if the road is already slightly damp.

It's actually an offence to have any possibility of leakage which drivers or operators can be fined for. You can notify your council who are responsible for washing down the road to get rid of diesel spills and the like, and I've done that successfully in my area.

On one occasion when the council person I spoke to didn't give me much confidence, I chased up the police as well and asked them to put a boot behind them. There was a truck and council crew there within half an hour, and better still, the police had traced the leak to a nearby parked pickup and had collared the driver.

These leaks are no joke, they can be lethal to two wheeler riders and even cause motor vehicle skids.

Reactions: tommie

Steve Bowles

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2018
St Leonards, England
I'm glad to hear that nothing was broken. I've gone down a couple of times (due to not being on a bike in 60 years), so I know the feeling of relief when everything is still in place.

Bobbish

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 24, 2018
Addingham
www.youtube.com
OK now know what it was there is a big manhole cover on corner, never noticed before

Related Articles

Advertisers