Camera in your pocket thread.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
After reading through a recent thread in which the subject of dedicated cameras and smart phone cameras arose, and the interest in them, I figured that we could have a camera in your pocket thread to post up photos of anything and everything as you take them.

I'm not really intending to add a library of old photos, but to start the thread, here are two of my favourite photos taken whilst out on a ride in Switzerland. Shot using a very elderly, bruised and battered, point and shot Fujifilm Finepix.

But in keeping with the thread topic, this far from perfect shot was taken today during my lunch break using an equally bruised, battered and very grubby Panasonic Lumix. A camera that I have never really enjoyed or liked. Now that I now that there are deer where I am currently working, I might well be brave and take the new Sony HX400V to work with me.

Finally, a question for Flecc. Do you happen to know what type of spider that this is? (beside dead)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
After reading through a recent thread in which the subject of dedicated cameras and smart phone cameras arose, and the interest in them, I figured that we could have a camera in your pocket thread to post up photos of anything and everything as you take them.

I'm not really intending to add a library of old photos, but to start the thread, here are two of my favourite photos taken whilst out on a ride in Switzerland. Shot using a very elderly, bruised and battered, point and shot Fujifilm Finepix.

But in keeping with the thread topic, this far from perfect shot was taken today during my lunch break using an equally bruised, battered and very grubby Panasonic Lumix. A camera that I have never really enjoyed or liked. Now that I now that there are deer where I am currently working, I might well be brave and take the new Sony HX400V to work with me.

Finally, a question for Flecc. Do you happen to know what type of spider that this is? (beside dead)

Hi Eddie. This is almost certainly the Woodlouse Spider, Dysdera crocata. As the name suggests, they mainly feed on woodlice or similar such as pill bugs. They can feed on other prey but have a preference for woodlice, their large chelicerae (venom bearing piercing jaws) are tough enough to piece the woodlouse exoskeleton.

Those are great hummingbird hawkmoth shots.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer

I think your moth shots a really good. Shot fast enough to be sharp and slow enough to see movement in the wings.
l used to be a people and things type of photographer and have never been able to produce any thing decent outside that so when I retired from weddings and related stuff I sold the expensive kit and bought an ebike... now I use my phone.. although i still have a few boddies and lenses, so this thread might reinvent me..

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I really should add this thread as I started it, but just for now....Gubbins, would you believe that those moth shots were taken using one of these. :)

http://www.trustedreviews.com/Fujifilm-Finepix-F11-review

You wouldn't believe just how scratched battered and worn that the camera is now. I can't even see the image on the back screen any more. My one hate of the camera, was that it had no viewfinder.

Sadly my phone doesn't seem to take very good photos, but always carry at least a pocket point and shoot with me. Working outside for a living, I guess that I am in some ways spoilt. You were very brave person to take on wedding photography. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I used to lug about 3.5K worth of camera and because of this people assumed I was an expert and asked my opinion on what to buy to become a better photographer but your photos show that you don't need expensive kit to take good pics. A lot of prize winning photos have been shot on inexpensive and unsophisticated cameras like this .

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and EddiePJ

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I really should add this thread as I started it, but just for now....Gubbins, would you believe that those moth shots were taken using one of these. :)

http://www.trustedreviews.com/Fujifilm-Finepix-F11-review

You wouldn't believe just how scratched battered and worn that the camera is now.

Sadly my phone doesn't seem to take very good photos, but always carry at least a pocket point and shoot with me. Working outside for a living, I guess that I am in some ways spoilt. You were very brave person to take on wedding photography. :)
Although I have better, the majority of my photography is with pocket cameras, and they've produced most of my best photos. One was the winner of a 2015 photo competition.

Pocket cameras from the respected marques in the last few years are capable of excellent results with many subjects.

I've also seen some terrific photos taken by phone cameras, but they do tend to be in the minority.

Reactions: EddiePJ

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Although I have better, the majority of my photography is with pocket cameras, and they've produced most of my best photos. One was the winner of a 2015 photo competition.

Pocket cameras from the respected marques in the last few years are capable of excellent results with many subjects.

I've also seen some terrific photos taken by phone cameras, but they do tend to be in the minority.
When asked my well meaning advice was to buy the best compact one could afford.
I never took my own advice tho... which is why I miss the panniers I had on the hard tail.

Reactions: flecc

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
A few shots taken when out and about over the last couple of weeks.

I have been playing around with a bit of editing, and have a lot to learn so the following is just a bit of fun for me, and not to be taken as a serious effort. :)

This one from a month or so ago amazed me. It was taken free hand using my new Sony HX400V. I wonder how much sharper that it would have been, if I had used a tripod and remote.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
It is just a free one called. BeFunky. https://www.befunky.com/

I say free, as I have been using it for a while as my old Lumix has an issue of under exposing every photo, but last weekend I decided to pay my $34.00 to have all of the available options.

In many respects I am lucky as I work outside, and get to look at views such as this which was taken last week.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
No, I have never tried that. The camera has the option, so I'll give it a try. :)

I have still to investigate all of the functions on the Sony, and it seemingly has many, which is kind of daunting at the moment. I should really take a look at Youtube and watch and practice from user help guides.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
The natural world is my subject, but I've been working in the nature reserve the last couple of months so roaming with the cameras has been neglected. Here's my new avatar shot below, taken this Summer with a little Canon SX260 pocket camera:

View attachment 17534
Nice..
Got loads a bird pics, but offspring wants to do some hill work and needs a pacemaker.. so off out..

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Lovely. :)

Flecc, you had me thinking a few weeks ago about this shot of a colony of bees that I came across whilst out on the bike on the South Downs.
They have been in the same spot for two years, and last summer I thought that they had gone, when in fact the land owner had moved a gate and fence that was positioned by the nest, further away from them. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul smith

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0658_01.JPG

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Lovely. :)

Flecc, you had me thinking a few weeks ago about this shot of a colony of bees that I came across whilst out on the bike on the South Downs.
They have been in the same spot for two years, and last summer I thought that they had gone, when in fact the land owner had moved a gate and fence that was positioned by the nest, further away from them. :)

It didn't load properly Eddie.

Advertisers