Can anyone see from this video why the back wheel is doing this? Tar

Stu761

Pedelecer
May 27, 2020

Swinman

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2016
Leicester
Your bike is set to use thr throttle only without the need to pedal or pas as it’s called that’s why the wheel spins free

Stu761

Pedelecer
May 27, 2020
Your bike is set to use thr throttle only without the need to pedal or pas as it’s called that’s why the wheel spins free
Yeah but the throttle doesnt work unless i pull the wheel back. And even then only works about 50 percent of the time. With my weight on it doesnt spin at all. :(

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The fact you can grip the wheel and it makes that noise with the throttle applied is either a stuck clutch and the freewheel not engaging or the planet gears are stripped.
Remove the wheel and open the motor to inspect.

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
Just a thought......I wonder have you a phase failure.....This often causes the motor to shudder and reduces power by 66%. On a direct drive, pushing the wheel forward often causes the wheel to turn at reduced power but with a geared motor, this will only work in the reverse direction due to freewheel effect of clutch.
Anyhow, I think its always worthwhile to first check the wiring and especially that the motor connectors are fully connected.

Stu761

Pedelecer
May 27, 2020
is the clutch knackered?
The fact you can grip the wheel and it makes that noise with the throttle applied is either a stuck clutch and the freewheel not engaging or the planet gears are stripped.
Remove the wheel and open the motor to inspect.
I removed the wheel and opened the hub and everything looked good i think... checked the magnets. All looked good to me. Everything seems fine. I opened the controller and eveything looks good too and all the wires are good. I dont know the clutch, ive been googling. Im abit stuck. What are planet gears? Im sorry for being dumb. Thabks for trying to help though!

Attachments

Stu761

Pedelecer
May 27, 2020
I took a quick peek at planetary gears. They seem to run smooth. No probs i can see. Im guessing maybe phase failure or clutch knackered? How do i check these issues? If this helps i attached a different kt controller but kept old cables. Bike worked great for 2 hours and then all the lights on the display kept flashing and then evrything turned off. I thought this was due to incorrect cables attached to kt controller. But evrything worked for 2 hours. Ive ordered a 1to5 kt cable but its gona take a month to come from china. I just dont understand what the issue is!

esuark

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
"is the clutch knackered" I only said that as a maybe.

Because my hub a Bafang swx02 started playing up and would not engage straight away when taking off, scary when pulling out at junctions with no power but would chime in at some point a little later. Took the clutch and planetary gears off the axle and it all worked fine in my hands, and had advice on here "Pedelecs" about maybe this or maybe that. But in the end I bought a new clutch and planetary gears put it on and all OK since. Sorry if this all sounds vague but I had to (guess) work it out my self in the end. My old postings here.........

Last edited:

Stu761

Pedelecer
May 27, 2020
"is the clutch knackered" I only said that as a maybe.

Because my hub a Bafang swx02 started playing up and would not engage straight away when taking off, scary when pulling out at junctions with no power but would chime in at some point a little later. Took the clutch and planetary gears off the axle and it all worked fine in my hands, and had advice on here "Pedelecs" about maybe this or maybe that. But in the end I bought a new clutch and planetary gears put it on and all OK since. Sorry if this all sounds vague but I had to (guess) work it out my self in the end. My old posting here.........

My problem does sound very similar. Thanks. Is the clutch around the pedals? I will try and youtube some videos on clutch replacement. Tar

esuark

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
clutch is inside the hub, the other side to the one shown in your photo. Hope you get it fixed "whatever ?" it is.....

Reactions: Stu761

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)

Stu761

Pedelecer
May 27, 2020
Reactions: Scorpio

Stu761

Pedelecer
May 27, 2020
Just for the record... i changed the controller, to a kt brushless cobtroller. Changed 1to5 kt cables. And lcd3 kt display. All working so far! Just need to cut and reconnect julet brake cables as turned out female to female connection. Scissoring no good.

Reactions: Scorpio