Can I change tyre width 27.5x2.10 (smart Sam)

Simonwwfc

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2020
Hi guys please can you tell me if it’s possible to change the tyre with on my oxygen s cross mk11 mtb. The tyres are smart Sam 27.5 x 2.10 on there at present and id like more width thanks people

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
No problem that I can see.
I’ve had tyres from 38 to 65mm wide on the same rim without a problem (as long as you have frame clearance for bigger tyres)
noticeably bigger than your present tyres, if you want to stay with Smart Sams you could go 65mm wide 65-584 (27.5 x 2.60)

Simonwwfc

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2020
I’ve had tyres from 38 to 65mm wide on the same rim without a problem (as long as you have frame clearance for bigger tyres)
noticeably bigger than your present tyres, if you want to stay with Smart Sams you could go 65mm wide 65-584 (27.5 x 2.60)
Thanks for help

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
You need to be careful here.
If you put too wide a tyre on a narrow rim, it can 'squirm' when cornering, especially at lower, more comfortable and grippier pressures.
It does depend on the model of tyre, what the profile is and also the rigidity of the carcass.
I've found that I've run into issues with ultra supple tyres when I've tried to put 2.35in on a 19mm internal width rim for example. A more solid tyre would work, but I'd be wary of a 2.6in tyre unless you had a significantly wider rim - maybe 28mm or more?
I'd guess that if the bike comes with 2.1 in tyres as standard, its a 19mm rim width. I'd be wary going more than 2.35 in if so.

Reactions: Simonwwfc

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
You need to be careful here.
If you put too wide a tyre on a narrow rim, it can 'squirm' when cornering, especially at lower, more comfortable and grippier pressures.
It does depend on the model of tyre, what the profile is and also the rigidity of the carcass.
I've found that I've run into issues with ultra supple tyres when I've tried to put 2.35in on a 19mm internal width rim for example. A more solid tyre would work, but I'd be wary of a 2.6in tyre unless you had a significantly wider rim - maybe 28mm or more?
I'd guess that if the bike comes with 2.1 in tyres as standard, its a 19mm rim width. I'd be wary going more than 2.35 in if so.
yes there could be issues going to wide but I can only speak from my personal experience.
I have 4 sets of 19mm wide rims, 2 with 2.35 apple’s and 2 with smart sam’s The biggest being 2.6. I’ve had no problem with squirming.
this is what Schwalbe says

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
The widest tyres I have put on mine are 2.25", those were Ice Spyker tyres for winter.
Now, I did have a couple of those blow out on me during cycling which can be a bit scary. Wether it was down to the tyres being too wide or a faulty tyre, I may never know.
My normal tyres are marathon plus 2.1" wide and Ive never had any similar issues........

Related Articles

Advertisers