Can I convert a Carrera Crossfire E bike to throttle.

Mawds

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 7, 2019
I have a Carrera Crossfire E bike that has seen better days. I’ve done a couple of thousand miles on it and each month something or other is starting to fail. The latest is the PAS, which is a dreadful design and I was wondering if I can get rid if it and convert to throttle only. Is this just a case of buying a suitable throttle, lcd and controller? I assume I could then just have to figure out how to connect up the motor. Am I looking at this too simplistically, or has anyone done something similar? Thanks

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Yes. Get a controller with a normal PAS and throttle. You'll have to solder quite a few wires, but the redt is straight forward. Basically, replace everything except the motor. I recommend that you get a sine wave controller that gives the option of current control rather than a speed control one. If you're going to only use a throttle, any cheap controller would work, but throttle only sucks.

Mawds

May 7, 2019
Yes. Get a controller with a normal PAS and throttle. You'll have to solder quite a few wires, but the redt is straight forward. Basically, replace everything except the motor. I recommend that you get a sine wave controller that gives the option of current control rather than a speed control one. If you're going to only use a throttle, any cheap controller would work, but throttle only sucks.
Thanks

Mawds

May 7, 2019
Thanks for your help, can I use the existing battery and why do you say throttle only sucks. What are the drawbacks?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
A bicycle isn't like a motorbike. the ride is bumpy, which makes holding the throttle constant difficult.

If you have a twist-grip throttle and you're on full throttle when you hit a big bump, the jolt through your arm is enough to break a plastic Chinese throttle.

A thumb throttle makes your thumb ache after a while.

Overall, a throttle is just a bad way to get the power in the way that you want. It can work, but it's nowhere near as convenient as a pedal sensor. A 5 magnet pedal sensor costs nearly nothing, and they're extremely reliable compared with a throttle.

Don't get me wrong. I'd always have a throttle, but I use the pedal sensor as the main way to control the power. I just use the throttle for a short burst of higher power when I have the PAS on low power, and it's good for starting off when you're hampered by a shopping bag or whatever.

• Informative
Reactions: Rogerborg

Mawds

May 7, 2019
Am I correct in assuming using throttle only will drastically reduce the range. Also, I’ve found to replace the PAS on the Crossfire will cost £95 as you have to purchase everything including the crank (typical Halfords). Is there a cheaper way to do it by utilising a different PAS?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Am I correct in assuming using throttle only will drastically reduce the range. Also, I’ve found to replace the PAS on the Crossfire will cost £95 as you have to purchase everything including the crank (typical Halfords). Is there a cheaper way to do it by utilising a different PAS?
You don't need to replace the crank. The sensor itself is the bit that gets broken/dirty. it's held on with screws and easy to remove. I guess they will only sell the sensor with the crank.

Is your sensor broken? If it isn't and doesn't work, it's most likely dirty. All you need to do is take it off and clean it. You have to get the dirt out of the slots so that the light can get in. One side is an LED and the other is a light sensor. You'll see when you get it off.

• Informative
Reactions: Rogerborg