Can I match a Woosh and an Ezee?

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I have an Ezee front drive fitted to my 700c Carrera. My wife has a Woosh Big Bear LS that has 26 inch wheels. We both love our bikes, but here's the rub.
When we are both in power setting 2, my bike quickly leaves the Bear behind without any effort from me. i.e. I'm just rotating the pedals, no exercise. If the wife goes to setting three then she pulls away with no effort. This causes some..........awkwardness:rolleyes:
Now I'm assuming that this is to do with the amperage the controllers are delivering in each setting.

Is there a way of adjusting the power delivery to bring the bikes closer together?
The Bear has an LCD display but my Ezee just has an led display.
Thanks
Ben

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
It all depends on how the assist levels are set up?
Have a word with Woosh the assist level on the Big Bear level 2 maybe increased slightly to match your level 2?.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The speed difference on the flat between 28" and 26" wheels, depending on gearing, can be up to 10 kph. That is one of the reasons I can't wait to get a kit on my 28" trekking frame.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Yeh, I realise wheel size would be a factor, I think the motors are fairly similar. Was hoping to tweak the assist on the BB to match. tbh it tends to produce a bit more grunt on hills so starts to catch up then.
I'll try asking Woosh.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
So Andy at Woosh says they only have one version of software for this display. Is there no other way? Am I doomed to cold rides or stony looks from she who must?:( Must I put 26" wheels on my lovely hybrid?:eek: Maybe I should just get a tow rope:D

C

Cyclezee

Hi Ben,
You can of course use the throttle on the eZee to make your assistance more variable or set the console to Mode 4 EAF.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Hi John,
Just read about mode 4 in the manual. Not sure how that would work, what does EAF mean?
Is it that I hold down button to enter setup, then press up 3 times to get to mode 4? How do I then get out of setup?

C

Cyclezee

Hi Ben,

If you press the down button and hold for 5 seconds you are into the setup mode, then press the up button to up through the modes, when you have got to the mode you want press the down button and hold for 3 seconds to exit.

Mode 4 is pure throttle mode with no pedelec assist.

Mode 5 is cruise whereby you can set a speed with the throttle, pressing the down button or braking deactivates it.

Personally, I use Mode 1 and set the assist level to the minimum that I want and if I need a power boost I use the throttle.

Post 01/01/2016 Mode 2 will be the only legal mode for eZee bikes and kits that are sold after that date, the throttle will only go to 6 Km/h for walk assist.

I would suggest that if you are going to try any of these other modes that you choose a quiet straight stretch of road to get the hang of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Geebee

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Advantage to torque sensor, max control with your legs like a proper bike.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Thanks John, that's clear now. I shall give mode 4 a try next time we go out together. Though I shall default to mode 1 when by myself.

Post 01/01/2016 Mode 2 will be the only legal mode for eZee bikes and kits that are sold after that date, the throttle will only go to 6 Km/h for walk assist.

This will indeed be a sad day, it would inhibit many a hill start around here. And I can see it preventing many a less able person getting back on a bike. I shall be keeping my kit going for many a year.

C

Cyclezee

Thanks John, that's clear now. I shall give mode 4 a try next time we go out together. Though I shall default to mode 1 when by myself.

This will indeed be a sad day, it would inhibit many a hill start around here. And I can see it preventing many a less able person getting back on a bike. I shall be keeping my kit going for many a year.
Hi Ben,

I should have made it clear, your kit is not affected as you got it before 01/01/2016 so you will still be able to use Mode 1.

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
What happens if you sell a vintage E-Bike kit after 01/01/2016:rolleyes: can it keep the full throttle?

Advertisers