Can I up-date my old Kalkhoff Pro-Connect ?

Apr 17, 2021
Hi,

this is my first post, so please bear with me !

My Wife and I have a pair of 7yr old Kalkhoff Pro-connects, and we love them to bits as they are still as solid as a Rock, even after all this time, - but the Batteries and Panasonic Motors are starting to show their age, so instead of replacing the whole Bikes, are there any better, more up-to-date Motor & Battery systems that I could retrofit to them ?

I know a guy who can do some Machining for me, if any plates need cutting and drilling to make them match, but would like to know what people have managed previously, so I don't have to 're-invent the Wheel' !

I would also like to know if it would be possible to fit a 45Km/h Motor to mine, as I have a full Motorcycle Licence ?

It would be great to hear if anyone has tried to do this before,

Thanks !

Nick (C/O 'J. Peasemold Gruntfuttock' ;) )

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I can't guide on retrofitting different motor etc; I'm sure others here will know much better.

You might be able to get the battery recelled at https://ebikebatteries.co.uk/, and the motor overhauled at https://www.performancelinebearings.com/. I haven't used either but they are well recommended by others on this forum.

For the faster motor: As well as your license, I think you'd need some form of certificate of compliance before you could get the required plates, and also insurance. Both of these might be difficult to arrange.

Apr 17, 2021
Thanks sjpt, I haven't ridden a modern bike yet, but I am assuming that their power delivery is just that much smoother and more sophisticated than our old Panasonics, - I'm basically looking for a 'Riese & Muller' Ride, on 'Apollo' Money ... ! ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My Wife and I have a pair of 7yr old Kalkhoff Pro-connects, and we love them to bits as they are still as solid as a Rock, even after all this time, - but the Batteries and Panasonic Motors are starting to show their age, so instead of replacing the whole Bikes, are there any better, more up-to-date Motor & Battery systems that I could retrofit to them ?
Not really practical Nick. As you imply, adapter plates would be necessary but I doubt they'd stand the twisting strain of pedalling force since even as standard the motor mounting bolts often need tightening from time to time. And there could be a problem of the new motor sitting too far back and too low to the ground with a greater leg reach. You can see how low the Panasonic motor sits already from the three arrowed mounting points in the photo below:

frame 1.jpg

One thing that has been done is to strip everything out of the alloy motor shell except the pedalshaft, leaving it as a bottom bracket only, then fitting a wheel hub motor kit to the bike. Cheaper than a completely new quality e-bike but with inevitable compromises, plus it will feel very different from your present crank motor systems, though you might prefer that.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021
Thanks flecc, that's sad to hear, but thanks for letting me know, I guess it's another example of the Motor Racing truism "If you want a quick car, - Buy one ! " (As in, don't try to make a slow one go faster ...!)

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Superpad59

Just Joined
Jun 30, 2019
Dublin
I can't really advise but I've also got an 11 year old Kalkhoff Agattu that I loved and, similar to your Pro Connect, it's in good solid condition but feels a bit lacking in power and range these days. Getting the battery re-celled would be easy enough but I've also considered retrofitting a front hub motor either as a backup or as the prime driver. Maybe difficult to do a street-legal job of course: if the bike ends up with two 250W motors there'd need to be a way to feed power to only one or the other. Also for best performance the hub motor would probably need a whole new power source like a 36V or even 48V battery. And then it'd give me a completely different riding experience to what I've had and enjoyed, sort of defeating the purpose.
Still undecided.