Can I use a 48v Battery on a bike which currently has a 36v Battery?

Lenblue

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 7, 2020
Hi, I bought a second hand Eco Expedition recently, knowing that the battery didn't work. The battery is a 36v. I might be able to source a different 48v battery with frame clamp etc, and wondered if I would be able to replace my current battery with this one, presuming I can amend the connections. I just want to check that there wouldnt be any overpowering issues etc. Advice appreciated as always!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There's about a 70% chance that it will smoke the controller as soon as you connect. If you're lucky, you get a nice pop before the smoke comes, which gives you a chance to get clear because the smoke stinks. You can increase your chance to around 95% if you open the controller and see that the capacitor/s over the battery wires is/are 60v or more.

If your controller survives, you then have two more problems to deal with. Firstly, any battery charge level indicators will show it as always full; secondly, the controller won't shut off when the battery is empty, which can damage the battery in some circumstances.

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
Sourcing a 36v battery should not be beyond the wit of man (or woman) and would be a lot safer, and probably cheaper, and less hassle, unless the 48v battery is a 'found behind the bike sheds at work' or 'fell off a lorry' .. in either case the battery might be cheap for a good reason.

As VFR said,, it likely won't work. If it does you will need a new charger.
Battery rebuilders ('re celling') abound, you can find several regularly mentioned on here, and there are some good local ones in most places.

Lenblue

Aug 7, 2020
Sourcing a 36v battery should not be beyond the wit of man (or woman) and would be a lot safer, and probably cheaper, and less hassle, unless the 48v battery is a 'found behind the bike sheds at work' or 'fell off a lorry' .. in either case the battery might be cheap for a good reason.

As VFR said,, it likely won't work. If it does you will need a new charger.
Battery rebuilders ('re celling') abound, you can find several regularly mentioned on here, and there are some good local ones in most places.
THanks Guys, I appreciate the advice, and will leave the 48v battery where it is, and keep on searching for the 36v.
I dont think it fell off the back of a lorry, and came with a charger, but I dont want to smoke anything! I would love to know where all the Eco Expedition spares went when they went under! Thanks Guys

Audio2

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2015
THanks Guys, I appreciate the advice, and will leave the 48v battery where it is, and keep on searching for the 36v.
I dont think it fell off the back of a lorry, and came with a charger, but I dont want to smoke anything! I would love to know where all the Eco Expedition spares went when they went under! Thanks Guys
There website still seems to be active &they offer replacement batteries.https://expedition-bikes.co.uk/product/e-bike/spare-parts/spare-lithium-36v-10ah-battery/

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There website still seems to be active &they offer replacement batteries.https://expedition-bikes.co.uk/product/e-bike/spare-parts/spare-lithium-36v-10ah-battery/
That's very expensive. they're about £150 from Aliexpress or you can get amuch better one than the original for £250.

When you use a substitute, always check the polarity of the connector with a meter, just to make sure.

Lenblue

Aug 7, 2020
Your bike uses generic Chinese parts, so no need for overpriced OEM spares. Ask if you need advise. Battery is older bottle style.
Thanks for that, I will take any advice offered. I was told its definitely the battery that is faulty, so I am hoping there are no faults elsewhere once I have shelled out the money for the battery! Thanks

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
If you haven't got one, get a digital meter, so you can check the battery before you go spending money. Always best to satisfy yourself of something rather than taking the word of someone who may know less than you.

• Agree
Reactions: WallyM and Nealh

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
The multimeter is practically a required accessory for any e-bike anyway, so it will not be wasted money.