Can landowners restrict usage of public rights of way

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Interesting account from John H. Parks that are on common land are rare, but still exist. There is one in Lincoln, where residents have a right to graze horses, and presumably cattle as well. I once spent a night on there in a tent, but was unsure about my rights. I ride by pedal cycle on lots of footpaths where I am pretty sure I am in the wrong.

I cause no damage, and give way to pedestrians. If challenged, I am polite and agree to leave, sometimes claiming that I got lost. My journeys have included grass paths on river embankments, some rural roads which although probably public are not surfaced, and farm roadways which are definitely private. I avoid these if they lead to farmhouses. I am a firm believer that if you don`t ask, they can`t refuse.

John`s comment about hanging out washing reminded me of some northern towns. It was the custom to unofficially close some side streets on washdays, usually Mondays. The residents would then hang washing lines across the street and hang out the washing. There were still cars parked in the street. I believe I have seen this in Widnes and Warrington, and possibly in Lancashire, and also Tyneside back in the 1970s. I don`t know if it still goes on.

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
Bear in mind folks that the Law in Scotland is completely different from that in England so most of this thread does not apply . The Scottish Land Reform Act gives unalienable rights to wander at will anywhere ( with some exceptions ) . There have been many clashes with Landowners unaware of their obligations but eventually the Law prevails. Basically if you can walk somewhere you can also cycle, except pavements, without restriction. We have access officers in each council area who take complaints regarding blocked paths, locked gates illegal signs etc seriously and several owners have found themselves with a criminal conviction for repeated contraventions. Gardens etc can of course be fenced off as private, but recent attempts to have whole areas regarded as gardens have been thwarted by court rulings restricting this feature to areas decided by the court and so far upheld at appeal. There are still one or two problem areas but the Ramblers and other pressure groups are active in forcing change. So come on up and get cycling.

For further insight see http://www.andywightman.com/?cat=49
Click on his blog list for more interesting reading..

Reactions: flecc

Ferdinand

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2015
NG17

Advertisers