Cannondale conversion BBA02B 500/750w

Silent singer

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 16, 2021
Hey guys
Pretty new to all this. I haven’t been cycling for almost a decade but have the urge to get back into it (mainly off road). I have a Cannondale RZ120 that i want to convert. Been looking for a 500w 17.5Ah kit (just don’t think a 250w will cut it from what i‘ve read) but can’t seem to find one with that battery so that leaves the 750w kit which seems to be readily available with the 17.5Ah. My newbie question is, how many assistance modes would this have and is there an average power consumption table for each level anywhere? Trying to get a gauge on how long the battery would last in each assist mode and if I can get the same sort of range as the 500w in a lower assist mode. I understand the number of variables that affect battery performance so for a base line let’s say the road is fairly flat with no mad climbs and I’m an 80kg rider. Looking forward to starting this project!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hey guys
Pretty new to all this. I haven’t been cycling for almost a decade but have the urge to get back into it (mainly off road). I have a Cannondale RZ120 that i want to convert. Been looking for a 500w 17.5Ah kit (just don’t think a 250w will cut it from what i‘ve read) but can’t seem to find one with that battery so that leaves the 750w kit which seems to be readily available with the 17.5Ah. My newbie question is, how many assistance modes would this have and is there an average power consumption table for each level anywhere? Trying to get a gauge on how long the battery would last in each assist mode and if I can get the same sort of range as the 500w in a lower assist mode. I understand the number of variables that affect battery performance so for a base line let’s say the road is fairly flat with no mad climbs and I’m an 80kg rider. Looking forward to starting this project!
The standard settings allow 3, 5 or 9 levels plus throttle. 9 is a complete waste of time. Three levels and throttle is more than enough. That would be level 1 about 60w to 100w, level 2 about 250w and level 3 max power. At any time, you can get a burst of power with the throttle. the more levels you have, the longer it takes to get the power you want. 9 levels is not really going to work off road.

You need the programming cable to set the power in each level if you're not happy with the standard values, which is pretty likely.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Just thought I'd point you to a thread, which highlights a few things that BBS01, BBS02 or BBSHD owners may buy, to make the riding experience better.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/after-market-bbsxx-crank-drive-gear.32691/page-4

The hydraulic brake cut-offs are usually essential, if you don't want to eat chains and cassettes. The installation tool is useful to torque down the motor bottom bracket lockrings, as the rotational force at that point, can cause the motor to loosen in the bottom bracket housing. Finally, a Lekkie Bling Ring chainring, can solve poor chain alignment issues.

Silent singer

Apr 16, 2021
Brilliant info, thanks. I’ve given the bike the once over and removed the front derailleur and bottom bracket in preparation but it looks like I may not be able to fit a 17.5Ah in the triangle after all ( 367 x 111 x 90) Just too tall. Can anybody recommend a high capacity battery that ideally is around the 90mm mark in height?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Brilliant info, thanks. I’ve given the bike the once over and removed the front derailleur and bottom bracket in preparation.
I can't help you with the battery, but I just thought I'd mention that it might be a good idea to fit the front derailleur cage on again. You don't need the shifters or cabling.

I did exactly the same thing when I fitted my BBS02, but found that the chain sometimes jumped off the chainring over rough ground. Fitting the front derailleur cage back on solved the issue. It might be fine with yours without the cage, but don't chuck away the parts just yet.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Silent singer

Apr 16, 2021
I won’t Chuck anything out just yet! I keep reading that the Lekkie bling ring is a must with Bafang mid drives. The derailleur cage is a great idea though, I’ll try that first.

has anyone had any dealings with a German company: Enerpower.de? They sell a Hailong Pro cased battery @ 48v with 14Ah that is only 92mm tall. That would fit my bike and I can then buy the 500w BBS02B separately. Also, can someone please tell my what type of connectors are on this motor for the battery (XT60, XT90 Etc?).

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: Silent singer

Silent singer

Apr 16, 2021
14Ah Battery on its way and I ended up getting the 750w BBS02B in the end, and what a pain in the a**e that was to fit. Needed a 5.5mm spacer to clear the swing arm (apologies for incorrect terminology, I ride motorcycles). It also needed an offset crank. Had to get the Lekkie bling ring for the chain line and the wiring harness is made for a bike that I think is about 6m long. Once I have proven it all works I’ll attempt to shorten the harness. are the Bafang plugs easy to source?

EC1F3410-AD20-4CE5-B048-331E15C582DD.jpeg

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
excellent donor bike, assuming the battery goes in. The additional mechanical integration work will be well worth it

The harness is easy to chop up & resolder. Get yourself plenty of adhesive heat shrink.

Higo connectors are available now on Ali express, but the original connectors can be reused.

Silent singer

Apr 16, 2021
Decided on a frame bag for the excess wiring as it can hold my keys as well (still not sure if that’s lazy or inspired). Still a bit of wiring to tidy up at the back end and then sit down a figure out the programming (Eggrider v2). Has a hell of a kick, even in the lower settings. Overall, very impressed though. Couldn’t stop grinning.

Attachments

Reactions: jarob10

roquestrongo

Just Joined
May 28, 2021
I´m very intersted in your build. I´m also looking around to convert my RZ 120. Could you post some more pictures? I´m thinking of getting the TSDZ2 , what was your reason to get the Bafang?

Greetz

Roque

Silent singer

Apr 16, 2021
No problem. What do You want to see? I got the Bafang because they seem to be fairly reliable and I didn’t want a hub motor.

Indifive

Just Joined
Oct 5, 2022
Hi I'm also looking at converting my RZ120, do you have any info on the battery you used i.e part No dimensions, as this is the only issue I seem to be having is finding the right size to fit. Also which Lekkie bling ring did you use. Thanks

Indifive

Just Joined
Oct 5, 2022
Decided on a frame bag for the excess wiring as it can hold my keys as well (still not sure if that’s lazy or inspired). Still a bit of wiring to tidy up at the back end and then sit down a figure out the programming (Eggrider v2). Has a hell of a kick, even in the lower settings. Overall, very impressed though. Couldn’t stop grinning.
Hi Silent,

I am in the final stages of converting my RZ120 but am struggling with chain alignment, Ive ordered a Lekkie 42. But it looks like it will catch the frame when fitted. how did you solve the chainline issues and could you post some pics of your chain setup.

Cheers